• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Complete newbie wanting an AR and needing advice

1. Handguns are harder to employ accurately than a handgun

2. Handguns are harder to employ accurately while simultaneously operating a white light than a carbine

3. A shotgun is not nearly as easy for a novice to operate as a 5.56 carbine is.

4. Other than Army LtGen’s and CNN reporters, few folks have an issue running a 5.56 AR accurately at close range.

Interesting, but 180 degrees from my experience and the experience of those I know.

Home defense involves tight quarters. Maneuvering an AR or shotty is not easy in hallways, stairs and doorways found in US homes.

All, I appreciate the feedback and the help. In regards to home defense, I understand that having some handguns and shotguns is ideal rather than using a rifle. But the reason I said that is because I assume that if I have to defend my home, I'm using any weapon I can. Since I don't hunt, I didn't want to say that I want an AR just because, so target shooting and defense would be the next logical choice.

A handgun or shotgun is not necessarily “ideal”. In specific situations one weapon system would be preferable to another, but you won’t know the specifics of the situation until you’re at least knee deep in it. My advice is to choose the system that you are most competent and confident with. The largest part of the encounter will be mental stressors, so being competent and confident will help you much more than a specific caliber, load, or weapon system will.

If an AR is what inspires confidence in YOU, then that’s what I would recommend.

I am with the majority of the post here. The Ruger is possibly the best entry level AR there is. I am sticking in a link for you to read up on the rifle. I believe it's the only intro AR that has a hammer forged barrel which is a big deal for longevity. I really don't think you can go wrong here.https://ruger.com/products/ar556/specSheets/8500.html

If you don't mind me asking what is your budget. We are assuming you are looking at the entry level AR and I don't want to leave it at a entry level gun when you could afford a better rifle. However, with the Ruger you could make a few upgrades and have a great rifle. Trigger, free float handguard, a nice compensator, and nice optic and then you would have a nice little gun.

I don't have an AR, but have been considering a basic entry level model for when the SHTF. Weight is a big factor for me.....what are some lightweight basic ARs that won't break the bank?? Looking for something 6 pounds or less.....is this a possibility??

Interesting, but 180 degrees from my experience and the experience of those I know.

Home defense involves tight quarters. Maneuvering an AR or shotty is not easy in hallways, stairs and doorways found in US homes.

No, home DEFENSE does not involve maneuvering in tight quarters......CQB/Room Clearing does. Are we defending our house, or sweeping it?

Cleared rooms for real in the Corps. I’ve cleared more rooms than I can begin to count as a LEO. I teach Home Defense/CQB/Room Clearing/Active Shooter. Unless I need to secure a family member or escape my residence because it’s on fire, I’m not clearing anything. I’m gonna defend and wait for the SO to arrive. If I need to clear for one of the reasons I previously mentioned, I can easily do so with a 16” carbine.

Is a 16” carbine ideal? Probably not, but neither is a handgun. An SBR, SBS, or SMG would be just the ticket, but the OP doesn’t sound like someone that wants to go down that rabbit hole.

I’ve cleared multiple residences and commercial structures using handguns, shotguns (14” and 18”), carbines, 20” rifles, and SMG’s.

If you don't mind me asking what is your budget. We are assuming you are looking at the entry level AR and I don't want to leave it at a entry level gun when you could afford a better rifle. However, with the Ruger you could make a few upgrades and have a great rifle. Trigger, free float handguard, a nice compensator, and nice optic and then you would have a nice little gun.

OP stated above that his budget is $1000.

Back
Top Bottom