• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Complete newbie wanting an AR and needing advice

But, OP
No, home DEFENSE does not involve maneuvering in tight quarters......CQB/Room Clearing does. Are we defending our house, or sweeping it?

Cleared rooms for real in the Corps. I’ve cleared more rooms than I can begin to count as a LEO. I teach Home Defense/CQB/Room Clearing/Active Shooter. Unless I need to secure a family member or escape my residence because it’s on fire, I’m not clearing anything. I’m gonna defend and wait for the SO to arrive. If I need to clear for one of the reasons I previously mentioned, I can easily do so with a 16” carbine.

Is a 16” carbine ideal? Probably not, but neither is a handgun. An SBR, SBS, or SMG would be just the ticket, but the OP doesn’t sound like someone that wants to go down that rabbit hole.

I’ve cleared multiple residences and commercial structures using handguns, shotguns (14” and 18”), carbines, 20” rifles, and SMG’s.

How well does that carbine fit in a purse? on a nightstand?, or a glovebox in a car?

The last 6 folks I talked to that felt a need for home defense were not interested in any kind of rifle. They all got revolvers, and are quite pleased with their purchases.

Thing to remember is the majority of households in this country are headed by women, and they are the number one group that wants and needs protection.

Most of them run in the 6.5 to 7.5 lb range depending on the barrel profile and length. The Ruger we are recommending is a 16 inch carbine so it would be in the lower weight range of the AR platform. I just looked up the Ruger we were talking about weighs in at 6.5 lbs. unloaded.

OP's been on ODT for over 7 years and doesn't have an AR. Sounds legit.

Yes, I have been a member for a while, but as you probably saw, I don't really post much. Buying a ton of guns, wanting to customize every little feature about them, is not my thing. I only own 2 guns, both Glocks. Now, I have that itch for an AR, and the real reason being, just because.
I apologize if I'm interpreting your post wrong and you're not bashing me, but just wanted to clear that up

Back
Top Bottom