• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Complete newbie wanting an AR and needing advice

It's definitely time to buy one. I don't think they will get any cheaper than they are now. Pull the trigger so speak and get one. You will love it. They are very easy to learn. They feel natural in the hands and all the controls are right there where they are just a slight finger movement away from engaging or disengaging. Eugene Stoner was a freaking brilliant man. He built a rifle back in the 50's that is still in use today. They are so simple to modify and work on it just blows my mind to think a man 68 years ago came up with such a modular rifle that's still in service because it's perfect the way it is. Amazing if you ask me.

Yes, I have been a member for a while, but as you probably saw, I don't really post much. Buying a ton of guns, wanting to customize every little feature about them, is not my thing. I only own 2 guns, both Glocks. Now, I have that itch for an AR, and the real reason being, just because.
I apologize if I'm interpreting your post wrong and you're not bashing me, but just wanted to clear that up

I get it. Get the Ruger or M&P Sport II for around $500. Colt 6920 is good but they're a good bit more money. BCM and DD are really nice but over your budget

Interesting, but 180 degrees from my experience and the experience of those I know.

Home defense involves tight quarters. Maneuvering an AR or shotty is not easy in hallways, stairs and doorways found in US homes.
Hold a 16 inch carbine as you normally would. Walk up to a wall until the barrel touches. Now, grab your pistol. Extend your arms and the handgun in a shooting stance. Bet you are surprised. Home defense is primarily ambush. You know your home. You know your rooms, your halls, your corners where light will be coming from, etc if you do need to move.

I get it. Get the Ruger or M&P Sport II for around $500. Colt 6920 is good but they're a good bit more money. BCM and DD are really nice but over your budget

I say go with the Colt. It's right in the middle. Anything cheaper may be a compromise, anything more would break the budget. Obviously YMMV...

But, OP

How well does that carbine fit in a purse? on a nightstand?, or a glovebox in a car?

The last 6 folks I talked to that felt a need for home defense were not interested in any kind of rifle. They all got revolvers, and are quite pleased with their purchases.

Thing to remember is the majority of households in this country are headed by women, and they are the number one group that wants and needs protection.

If the OP wants a firearm for HOME DEFENSE, why are you asking how well it fits in his purse or glove box? Doesn’t have to fit ON a nightstand, it can lean against it, or the wall, just well.

We are not talking about the last 6 folks that you talked to in reference to home defense, we are talking about the OP. He is obviously VERY interested in an AR because he specifically stated it. He didn’t ask what type of gun for home defense, he asked for a recommendation for an AR for home defense.

A revolver is not an easy system to run accurately or well. I used a wheelgun for years, both as a carry piece and in competition, and am very competitent with one. I run Revolver classes and teach folks to use them. It takes diligent practice to be accurate with a double action trigger and reloads are not intuitive. I do like a good wheelgun, one of my favorite bedside table guns, for ME, is a 4” S&W M-28. Not what I’d recommend to most folks.

I assumed the OP is male. If I’m wrong I’m sure she’ll correct me. I’ve got a wife in my house, she has her guns and I have mine.

No, home DEFENSE does not involve maneuvering in tight quarters......CQB/Room Clearing does. Are we defending our house, or sweeping it?

Cleared rooms for real in the Corps. I’ve cleared more rooms than I can begin to count as a LEO. I teach Home Defense/CQB/Room Clearing/Active Shooter. Unless I need to secure a family member or escape my residence because it’s on fire, I’m not clearing anything. I’m gonna defend and wait for the SO to arrive. If I need to clear for one of the reasons I previously mentioned, I can easily do so with a 16” carbine.

Is a 16” carbine ideal? Probably not, but neither is a handgun. An SBR, SBS, or SMG would be just the ticket, but the OP doesn’t sound like someone that wants to go down that rabbit hole.

I’ve cleared multiple residences and commercial structures using handguns, shotguns (14” and 18”), carbines, 20” rifles, and SMG’s.

I too have cleared 100s of structures looking for armed men. Not once have I ever felt at a disadvantage because I was doing it with a carbine. Nobody that clears a house/commercial structure anywhere in the world looking for a real bad guy does it with a pistol.....unless he is forced by some archaic policy. There is a reason for that. Finally the internet myth that a pistol is the ideal tool for defense in any armed engagement is just that..... a myth. A pistol is like a pocket knife.....convenient. But when it comes time to cut off heads you need a machete. And if you can only have one to lay beside your rack, don’t choose a pocket knife.

No, home DEFENSE does not involve maneuvering in tight quarters......CQB/Room Clearing does. Are we defending our house, or sweeping it?

Cleared rooms for real in the Corps. I’ve cleared more rooms than I can begin to count as a LEO. I teach Home Defense/CQB/Room Clearing/Active Shooter. Unless I need to secure a family member or escape my residence because it’s on fire, I’m not clearing anything. I’m gonna defend and wait for the SO to arrive. If I need to clear for one of the reasons I previously mentioned, I can easily do so with a 16” carbine.

Is a 16” carbine ideal? Probably not, but neither is a handgun. An SBR, SBS, or SMG would be just the ticket, but the OP doesn’t sound like someone that wants to go down that rabbit hole.

I’ve cleared multiple residences and commercial structures using handguns, shotguns (14” and 18”), carbines, 20” rifles, and SMG’s.

I too have cleared 100s of structures looking for armed men. Not once have I ever felt at a disadvantage because I was doing it with a carbine. Nobody that clears a house/commercial structure anywhere in the world looking for a real bad guy does it with a pistol.....unless he is forced by some archaic policy. There is a reason for that. Finally the internet myth that a pistol is the ideal tool for defense in any armed engagement is just that..... a myth. A pistol is like a pocket knife.....convenient. But when it comes time to cut off heads you need a machete. And if you can only have one to lay beside your rack, don’t choose a pocket knife.

Back
Top Bottom