• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Converting a single stack ak to double stack?

If I remember right, all that has to be done is enlarge the mag slot. I know I saw some videos on this a few years ago when I was thinking about doing mine.

I have a pretty old Romak 991 ak and was wondering if anyone knows if this one can be converted from a single stack to a double stack?

On the older ones you have to enlarge the mag well AND trim off the steel side supports that keep the single stack mags from wobbling.

A note on the newer zastavas--the ones I have seen have 'slabs' on the inside of the mag well which may require machining or very careful dremeling.

Yes. I have done quite a few. You can find someone with a mill or you can take your time and do it with a dremel (rough) and finish with a file.

agreed with billrube and ccw. I have done two with dremel, file and LOTS of paitence...

On thing that will help is to buy a flat from www.ak-builder.com for like 20 bucks or so shipped. Use it as a template to scribe the bottom of the mag well on the 991. You may have to remove the trigger guard or cut the flat. I removed the trigger guard and reattached with the screw and plate kit from akbuilder. You also need the 922r us parts to make it legal.

I used HTS, Pistolgrip and us stock on my two.

Last edited:
Bill, how would you rate the zastava?

It appears to be solid but the single stack looks like too much work to convert (for me anyway) the ones I've seen do not appear to have chrome lined barrels.
The high cap one I saw looked nice but is was so nice it looked a little cheesy--like an airsoft rifle or something.
I'd just as sooner have a wasr myself.

Back
Top Bottom