• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cool stuff for my son and daughter

Yessir ! They look like they are at the perfect age to get into nature know-how and survival elements.
Have you thought about scouting ? Boy Scouts & Girl Scouts are the best ! Teach them all kinds of cool stuff !!

I started my girls out young, taking them on short backpacking trips into Cohutta. They carried small backpacks with their cup and other odds and ends. I had them carry their own backpacks for a couple of reasons. One, kids want to do more than what we give them credit for. They want to be a part of the decision making and involved in “doing”. Two, I did it to teach them that there is no free lunch. You have to put the work in, regardless of how small, gender, etc….

I showed them how to source wood for fires, making fire, what fat wood (lighter/pine) looks like. I showed them how to build shelters (natural debris and using a tarp or space blanket). Show them how to filter water and have them carry a bag with the basic necessities needed to do all of that.

Teach them the basics so that if they ever find themselves lost, they can stay out and survive. Make it fun and enjoy the time spent as a family.

Back
Top Bottom