• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cool stuff for my son and daughter

theres this campout very family friendly near watkinsville GA. The spring campout is April 19th. Ga Bushcraft. Look it up. Lots of classes that are free. Some might shirk at it but lots of kids there learning how to handle knives, shoot slingshots, rope and knot learning etc. fire starting. Even kids can bang out knives thanks to C Rex C Rex

I have a son (6) daughter (4) I’m trying to do some fun (non traumatic) prepping/self sustaining activities anyone got any ideas? We’ve done seed germination and trapping crawdads, I got a buddy who is into mycology and I plan to take them fishing soon. I’m sure im missing something they’ve been extensively taught firearm safety but do not have access to firearms. Rather not teach my boy how to start fires yet lol.

Remember they are 6 and 4. You know them better than us here in the peanut gallery. I would caution about teaching them how to start fires, how to cook, etc. Anything that could hurt themselves or property loss. Because many 6 and 4 year old children are just that - children. Unable to understand consequences, unable to respond to an emergency, etc. Your good intentions could possibly lead somewhere unintended.

Being 6 and 4 there are many things you can share in, many noted in this thread. Consider looking at this as building blocks, build a solid foundation and grow it as they mature and can handle more physical and mental tasks.

Some thoughts ... respect life (we hunt and fish to eat, not to hurt nor to amuse), grow and nurture life (seeds to seedling to garden to nurture to harvest, if you see an injured animal, etc), simple tasks around the house and yard - cleaning, setting the table for a meal, clean up. Set them up for easy successes to build confidence.

I got my boy a wooden toolset when he was young. Through the years he moved from that to my helper to his own tools etc, and at 11 now he has done brakes, shocks, alternators, batteries, rotors, wheel bearings, etc on various vehicles.

I am keen on informing many of the things that can go wrong, and I supervise. I allow for mistakes that aren't harmful, even when those suck time etc. I won't always be there to stop and correct, so I want them to learn to think about the big picture before focusing on the narrow.

Maybe instead of fire starting you could teach them how to put out a fire. Different types of fires, different methods. Of course so young they need to know personal safety first. My crew of 4 I gave them each an exti gusher, I made a cardboard house, put some Barbies in it, and lit it on fire in backyard. They learned how to pull the pin and where to aim the extinguisher.
Safety... tools, kitchen, appliances, etc. Many lessons can be shared.

Again you know your crew best. If you know they are mature enough and skilled enough to tackle some of the advanced topics by all means have at it. Just quietly offering up a word of caution on some of the things that could easily go wrong.

Back
Top Bottom