• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Coonan 357mag...Thoughts, Opinions, Experience?

"When I shot the 3rd or 4th mine the barrel Jam the slide open due to the expansion caused by the Heat."

This issue was with the first gen Coonans. It has been corrected. The big difference between the Coonan and a 1911 is the grip is larger. It has to be to accommodate the .357 round. Otherwise they are so close that 18 parts will interchange. As for recoil, I have a 150lb girl friend that shoots it. If you can shot a .45acp you can shoot a Coonan. I have owned one for 2 years and (no pun intended) it is a blast to shoot. Franklins in Athens has them in stock. And for a reasonable price.

Had one of the new ones for awhile, but ended up selling it. Slightly longer from the front to back of the grip than a standard 1911, but not much difference. It had no issues with any of the .357 Magnum loads I tried in it. The gun also came with a specific recoil spring for .38 Special, but I never shot any of those through it. Recoil was light, and the flames were huge. The only thing that bothered me about it was the area around the slide stop cutout in the slide was just slightly deforming with use. Coonan said it was fine, and the guy I sold it to had no worries about it either.

It was a fun gun and always attracted attention.

IMAG0042.jpg Video 19 0 00 11-21.jpg

A3F45E2B-B0B3-4E05-99B6-100A73AE77D3.jpeg
616961B8-BA4E-4E67-996F-E18C5D818D36.png

I have enjoyed mine the short time I have had it. I will probably post it up in the next day or two for trade.
It has been completely reliable with the ammo I have shot through it. All I can say is it’s a blast to play with.

Back
Top Bottom