• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Costco membership

Im prerty sure they black listed me after i made them refund my money when the mask nazis wouldnt let me shop AFTER they sold me a membership. Didnt need one in the tire center for the 2 hours while i got tires but couldnt buy groceries without one....but you could sit down and eat a hot dog or pizza without one.....go figure.....
Same here. I joined in Marietta, put on mask and started shopping. I had mask pulled up to my nose, but no further, as my glasses would fog. I had two guys yell at me, "Pull your mask up". I didn`t do it. The second guy, I started towards him and he backed down an aisle. I went home with my groceries. I then looked up Cosco`s store rules. Yep, all stores had the mask deal. What else caught my attention was a rule that said "no guns". Costco also said that if I didn`t like their rules they would gladly refund my money. They did. I was a member about three hours. Don`t miss it a bit.

It's not a GA law but City or County law.
It's actually state law.

This could be a short book, but Georgia has what is called the "three tier liquor" system, common to a lot of states.

The three tiers are the producers, the distributors and the retailers. Producers have to designate a distributor to handle their product. Even "Two Buck Chuck" at Trader Joe's has to go through (at least booked through ) a Georgia distributor. In a geographical area there is only one distributor handling every brand of beer, wine and distilled spirits.

As a group the liquor distributors are the most powerful lobby in the State of Georgia, next to Georgia Power. If you are a pol, or a supporter of a pol, and you want to have a little gathering, you contact one of your local distributors, who will gladly comp your gathering.

Many of Georgia's liquor laws and regulations are written to protect the distributor's interests.

For example, a retailer cannot have a "loss leader" and sell alcohol below his cost. Any "sale" is the result of a price promotion by the distributor, usually funded by the producer. Another one is that all sales to retailers are "C.O.D", cash or check - distributors have ZERO bad accounts.

The "two stores" rule has been around for decades, and prevents owning multiple retail outlets by the same ownership interest. This even extends to artificial entities such as corporations and LLCs - no interlocking ownerships among the entities resulting in control of multiple liquor stores. Some how this is supposed to protect the public from the ravages of demon rum, but what it protects are distributors, who are protected from retailers being able so seek pricing and product concessions.

Obviously, there is an exception for the big box stores and convenience stores, and I don't know what the parameters of that are, except that they are limited to wine and beer - no hard liquor. Sams and Costco have separate stores for liquor, and I don' know how they get around the ownership thing.

When the Athens Sams started selling liquor in their little storefront store, you had to be a Sams Club member just like on the inside. State Department of Revenue made them open sales to anyone. Stuff there is a little bit cheaper, but not enough for me to drive across town. Costco has it's own store brands of liquor which are bottled by brand name distilleries and some are supposed to be very good, and a bargain - Costco just open locally here and I have not verified that.

Been thinking about joining. Is it worth it? Never been in a Costco. Have been in Sams and it was ok but nothing special. Any thoughts?
Not worth it lest you feel good about paying $100/yr. and regularly need 50 rolls of TP after eating 30 cans of soup.

Second on the TV purchases, I've brought back 3 flat screens, always honored the warranty and got a bigger, better version each time. I wouldnt be a flat screen TV anyplace else. The only downside is that they are getting so flipping big, they wont fit in the back of your SUV any longer.

Second on the TV purchases, I've brought back 3 flat screens, always honored the warranty and got a bigger, better version each time. I wouldnt be a flat screen TV anyplace else. The only downside is that they are getting so flipping big, they wont fit in the back of your SUV any longer.

That's where I bought my TV and now I do know for a fact nothing larger than 55" will fit in the back of a Ford Focus hatchback with the back seats folded down and the fronts as far forward as they'll go....so that's why ended up with a 55" in my living room....made for an uncomfortable ride home.....lol

Im prerty sure they black listed me after i made them refund my money when the mask nazis wouldnt let me shop AFTER they sold me a membership. Didnt need one in the tire center for the 2 hours while i got tires but couldnt buy groceries without one....but you could sit down and eat a hot dog or pizza without one.....go figure.....
That's when I quit

Back
Top Bottom