• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cottonheadedwaterrattler w/ murderous intent

when i was a kid we always caught snakes. i personally love hog nosed snakes.
they play rattle snake, rattle their tails in the leaves. when that does not work they play dead, and stink as well. they will lay on their backs, and if you flip them over,they will flip back on their back..
i love snakes,even the poison ones. everything has a purpose in life, killing it for food is ok,killing it just because harms the propose...

Sitting in living room when the phone rings. It's the girlfriend who was in the backyard. She says to come get this snake. I said it's just a rat snake, run it off. She says, but it has a pointed head and it is rattling its tail. So, I get up and go get it. About 4.5-5' long rat snake. Struck at the hoe once and then I was able to catch it, very docile once caught. Relocated to the woods. All snakes don't need to die.

View attachment 1212814
GOOD JOB,GLAD SHE DIDN'T KILL IT

I nearly stepped on a 5' king snake yesterday. I was walking through a clearcut on my way to check a trail camera. I stepped on a small pile of limbs and he came crawling out. He got clear of the brush and stopped out in the open. I had a 50# bag of corn on my shoulder so I couldn't bend over to grab him. He held tight and let me walk right past him. I never felt threatened and I guess that he didn't either.

Give her the benefit of the doubt. A rat snake will rattle its tail when agitated. Seriously doubted if she got close enough to see if there were actual rattles on the tail.

It's neat how they know to mimic a rattlesnake to ward us off. I've seen several different species do the same thing, even a Copperhead.

I nearly stepped on a 5' king snake yesterday. I was walking through a clearcut on my way to check a trail camera. I stepped on a small pile of limbs and he came crawling out. He got clear of the brush and stopped out in the open. I had a 50# bag of corn on my shoulder so I couldn't bend over to grab him. He held tight and let me walk right past him. I never felt threatened and I guess that he didn't either.

He was waiting on you to pour out the corn, draws rodents also! :lol:

They don't bother me much as long as I can see them.
But that huge Eastern Indigo that hangs out in the garden under the squash plants has made me jump several times!
You're looking for zucchini and yellow squash, you're just not looking for a snake!
He's a big long snake too, he shines in the sunlight but in the shade he's tough to see...
It's been a few years, I think we have an understanding now. :becky:

WE HAVE A COUPLE OF KING SNAKES AT OUR PLACE WIFE DONT LIKE TO SEE THEM BUT SHE LETS THEM ALONE OR SCREAMS TILL I COME AND PUT THEM IN BARN OR IN WOODS !

Back
Top Bottom