• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cumming Area Members Interested in a Group Buy?

Clarke123

Default rank <4500 posts
Love Them UGA Dogs!
196   0
Reaction score
WAS: Cumming, GA NOW: Punta Gorda, Florida
With Ammo prices going UP, components can't be far behind, AND HAZMAT Fees make individual buys ... burdensome!

For example:

GAF Bros have CCI Small Pistol Primers on sale @ $115 per 5K
and 5K of Wolf Large Rifle Primers @ $110 regular price.

While GAF's HAZMAT fee is $20 per shipment, ordering the CCI's seems to be a "no-brainer" ... BUT, Wait a minute, I'm sure that some of you have even better sources ...!

What say you?

Earl Clark - Cumming, Georgia

Last edited:
Have you checked Wideners and Powder Valley?

Thanks for the reply andinformastion!

I'm on Widener's e-mail blast list ...
I looked at Powder Valley a while back, and will look again..

As you are aware, you have to do a lot of calculating to determine the "best-overall-bottom-line-OTD" price
and that can vary based upon just what you are interested in buying right now!

Sometimes its just easier to run up to 400 J&L and grab a brick.

Thanks for the suggestion ... U R right-on with the comment ... Most ODT members are scattered all about and it's difficult to
put together a group buy unless it's with close friends ... Even then, there's always somebody that wants to back out after the buy or
that doesn't have the money right now ...

Yeah, I usually go to their sister store: Forsyth Pawn in Cumming as it's less than 5 miles from where I live ...

If the "Guy from Tennessee" is at one of the gun shows, his prices are decent on name brand merchandise.

I have used the Alpha-2 .40 S&W Cast Bullets with success, as well as Precision Delta for my .40 S&W FMJ's ...
Both are the least expensive, quality producers that I have found.

As I have about 300 Winchester 147 Grain FMJBT's that I got in a trade that I need to provision, and I always have some .40's to load.
I am tempted to give Wolf a try on theLarge Primers... I have heard that they were just fine, but I don't have any personal experience with them.

Earl Clark - Cumming,GA

I know some precision shooters who are running nothing but Wolf Large Rifle in their guns, it has a thicker cup and the cup is just a little larger so it fills primer pockets nicely. Sometimes they dont want to run thru a Dillon press due to their slight oversize. But the guys that have been running them are reporting very low ES and SD's with them. I am going to try some in some 223 loads and see what they do.

I know some precision shooters who are running nothing but Wolf Large Rifle in their guns, it has a thicker cup and the cup is just a little larger so it fills primer pockets nicely. Sometimes they dont want to run thru a Dillon press due to their slight oversize. But the guys that have been running them are reporting very low ES and SD's with them. I am going to try some in some 223 loads and see what they do.

Sorry to ask so many questions ... I appreciate your patience!

If Wolf Primers are "slightly larger" then does this present a problem with miitary brass and their crimped primer pockets?
How are you addressing the crimped .223's that you reload: The RCBS Primer Pocket Swag die, Dillon$ DillionDollar Swage Primer Pocket Tool, CH4D's Primer Pocket Swag Tool, A Weldon DB 18 90 Degree swage bit on UR Power Drill, OR are U simply using a case neck debur to do the job, or what?

How about powders for the .223's? I'm notloading them (yet) but have considered H380 for loading my 147 GR .308's (My Lyman Manual indicates this should be a "most Accurate" load for them).

Right now Im just using a counter sink drill bit in a drill and just bump em to remove the crimp, dont have to take too much. Im thinking I may just order pre processed brass, it runs about 100 per 1000 and all you gotta do is prime, powder drop and seat a bullet. Im thinking I can get high quality brass ammo for about 200 per 1000 if I buy pre processed.

My 308 load currently is 46.8 grains of Varget under a Sierra 2155 bullet, loaded to 2.825 COAL and a Win Large primer in Winchester brass. Im going to be switching to M118LR brass and IMR4895 along with a Sierra 2156. Im hoping with switching to the 4895 and the mil brass I can get some more speed out of my load. The current Varget load is at 2725 out of a 20inch factory Rem sewer pipe, BUT at 200 5 rounds are on top of each other with the target and witnesses.

My bolt gun hasnt seen anything but my hand loads, my old AR shot nothing but factory. My 9mm has seen nothing but my hand loads as well.

Ive got a project in the works, Im going to do a heavy barrel stevens or salvage (depending on what I find cheap), and put my can on it and then Ill shoot nothing but Lapua Match brass in it.

QUOTE=Outsydlooknin;326862]Right now Im just using a counter sink drill bit in a drill and just bump em to remove the crimp, dont have to take too much. Im thinking I may just order pre processed brass, it runs about 100 per 1000 and all you gotta do is prime, powder drop and seat a bullet. Im thinking I can get high quality brass ammo for about 200 per 1000 if I buy pre processed.

My 308 load currently is 46.8 grains of Varget under a Sierra 2155 bullet, loaded to 2.825 COAL and a Win Large primer in Winchester brass. Im going to be switching to M118LR brass and IMR4895 along with a Sierra 2156. Im hoping with switching to the 4895 and the mil brass I can get some more speed out of my load. The current Varget load is at 2725 out of a 20inch factory Rem sewer pipe, BUT at 200 5 rounds are on top of each other with the target and witnesses.

My bolt gun hasnt seen anything but my hand loads, my old AR shot nothing but factory. My 9mm has seen nothing but my hand loads as well.

Ive got a project in the works, Im going to do a heavy barrel stevens or salvage (depending on what I find cheap), and put my can on it and then Ill shoot nothing but Lapua Match brass in it.[/QUOTE]

That's what the Weldon DB 18 90 degree bit is: a countersink bit that just happens to be the right size for small pistol / rifle primer holes. ~ $10 or less.

My luck with pre-processed brass has been less than satisfactory for my .40 S&W loadings. This mainly due to resizing in dies that do not "touch bottom". Yes, I am particular: I require all of my brass to pass through the Wilson Gauge as I visually inspect each and every one of them! What I am seeing is about 35% rate of failure to meet specifications on brass processed by others. My Lee Carbide Resizing Die addresses 95% of these problems, and the rest is (usually) addressed by running them through my Lee Buldge Buster (or simply thrown in the trash!). I understand that going to a source that "roll sizes" them would address that particular problem and may give that a try on my next 1000 purchase.

BTW: I have read reports of people addressing inconsistent Varget powder metering by strapping an acquarium air pump to their powder measures (sort of like a low cost, but effective viberator). In the past my RCBS Powder Measure had a "tapper" on it that served the same purpose ...

The 147"s that I'm going to load are more for plinking and experience in loading 308's ... As my prior large case experience has been with .270's.

I load for precision in my 308 so I just throw then trickle, it takes a little while but I feel its more consistent that way.

As far as powders go for 223 Im either gonna run Reloader 15 or Varget. Friend of mine has a R15 load that matches the Black Hills 69 grain stuff pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom