• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cut My Tumbling Time in Half

Bayou

Default rank <200 posts
Hunter
0   0
Reaction score
Hi, Guys -

I recently tried a new to me technique that has successfully cut my tumbling time in half.

In short, I pre-soaked the brasses in soap and water overnight after decapping them. The water was drained off, and the wet brasses were then wet tumbled as usual.

Attached is a pic taken today of some 30 carbine brasses that were pre-soaked. I chose these cases since their tarnish level on a scale of 10 was 10. They were so deeply tarnished, that I had to scratch the metal just to make sure they weren't steel cases. You couldn't easily tell.

I would have normally wet tumbled these brasses for 4 full hours given their degree of tarnish. However, the result you see in these cases as shown in the pic was achieved in 2 hours of tumbling time. 1 ounce of auto wash and wax and 1/4 TSP of Lemi-Shine.

Since I usually decap and tumble on different days, a pre-soak adds no more time or real effort.

Bayou

Tumbling times never really mattered to me actually.
I just throw the brass in the tumbler in the garage, go into the house and watch TV, eat/ drink, be merry, maybe prime some already prepared cases, go cut the lawn etc. heck put a timer on the electric cord and you can do it overnight. but If its important to you then that's what matters.

I can imagine that it would reduce the tumbling time. Personally I don't really think it's necessary. I have a Franklin Arsenal tumbler. I'll set it for 3 hours and walk away. It shuts off and is done. I'll come back drain off, rinse with clean water then place in the brass dryer for about an hour and then I'm gtg. So I don't clean/dry brass on the same day I load. For me I don't think that speeding up the time will help me. Thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom