• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Daisy Red Ryder BB Gun

soggybottomboy

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
19   1
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Like many of you I received my Daisy Red Ryder BB Gun (.177 cal) when I was just a boy. I had to do a video and share this classic BB gun that was made famous by the Christmas Story. Fortunately, I never shot my eye out but I did have a lot of fun.

After watching the video I do have a couple questions for you who have or had a Red Ryder BB gun.

1) Did yours have a goldish seal on the opposite side of the stock? What years did they start and stop doing the seal?

2) I have a four year old son. What age do you think is appropriate to get him his own BB gun?

Thanks and enjoy.

Link to Red Ryder BB Gun on Amazon.com.

<font color="#000000"><span style="font-family: verdana">

Last edited by a moderator:
Got mine when I was 8 or so, it did not have that seal on it. Thing shot like a rainbow, had to aim way high but sure was fun. The crossman pumps hurt like heck if you were "accidentally" shot . The one you have is in fantastic shape, your son will enjoy it quite a bit.

Nice gun. I think age really depends on the child. I was given my first Crossman pump on my fifth birthday but I wasn't allowed to shoot it unsupervised for around another year.

There is a Daisy forum that details all the different models and has some values too. I found it about 2 years ago after I picked up two Daiseys from the trash dump. Sorry, but I don't remember the exact name of the site. Google should find it though. I think around age 6 with adult supervision is good, or maybe 5 depending on the child's maturity. Have fun with that thing.

I have two with the gold medallions like in the video. My brother and I got them for Christmas about 26 years ago. We had other b.b. guns before getting our red ryders. I think I was about 5 or 6 when I got my first one. I have passed our red ryders onto my sons now and we still have a great time shooting them.

I got one in 5th grade. And very shortly after that I discovered how cool it looked to watch the shade behind the window pane pop backwards as you shot it. And very shortly after that I had my first knock on the door by the Juvi LE. I still remember - 17 window panes.

One thing I will say for safety is that very young kids are not strong enough to work the lever.

Got my Red Rider when I was 8, wondered what would happen if the trigger was pulled with the cocking lever down...........Sure did hurt little cold fingers. A life lesson learned, safety first!!!!!!!!!!

I see them at Walmart all the time too.

Beat me to it.

I had one years ago. Enjoyed it for a long. Don't remember what age. Later, I got a Daisy pump. It was tube loaded, and held 50 BB's tube fed. More accurate and powerful, but the Red Ryder was the best. Have seen them at Walmart and elsewhere, but haven't played with any. Wondered if they changed them and made them out of plastic, etc. Was afraid I would be disappointed if they were not the old wood stock with the Red Ryder picture and logo pressed into it.

Back
Top Bottom