Damn you Irma...

When I went to let an older Korean neighbor know her car would have to be moved (in case she didn't hear the message) a girl was complaining saying she didn't know why they couldn't park there, no one was going anywhere that night. I told her if anyone had an emergency they wouldn't be able to get out. She had to concede that point.
People are too self absorbed.

Be polite but firm, but as said before review your policy and know your coverage, just remember adjusters work for the insurance company..not you...they are not your friend no matter what they tell you, their promotions and bonuses are based on what they save the COMPANY, not what they pay YOU.
On the vehicles, you do not HAVE to use their repair facility, you can choose your own .
It can also depend on your company...Some are better than others of course .
Get yourself a spiral bound notebook and document EVERYTHING, every conversation in person or on the phone, Note dates, times and names of all insurance employees and notes and the main points of what they tell you, they sometimes have convenient lapses of memory. You CAN'T take too many photos, remember a picture is worth a thousand words!!

I had a guy once try to depreciate the building materials due to their age in a house that burned.
I had adjusters switched on me two or three times from hurricane Opal and the last guy tried not to pay what the others before him told me to do.
I had detailed notes from day one and a recorded phone call with a Vice President in their company telling me not to worry, they would pay my claim in full.
I was paid full policy limits in both cases.
Documentation is extremely important for YOUR case if you have to go to court. if there is no documentation, its a he said/he said short version, if it isn't documented , it didn't happen.situation.......

My experience with adjusters is that they are more than fair. We had storm damage to our house and they wrote us a check and said that if it didn't cover all of it to send in the bills and they would cover the rest. We have state farm

I have State Farm also. Never any problems. That being said some insurance companies are looking for the cheapest way out. I have been dealing with insurance companies for 37 years in autobody repair.

'Diminished value'.

Diminished value only applies to repaired vehicles not totals.

View attachment 1315589
Thanks everyone, talked to the body shop that will handle it all this morning and the guy said he will definitely help out anyway he can on the deductibles and so forth. Shed wasn't attached to the house so no bid deal there. Toyota is fine (worse dent pictured), other than some cosmetics, Jeep has definitely seen better days. Neither has rolled 40k miles so it hurt a little.

Again from experience nobody is going to give you something for nothing. I have seen a lot of cars that the body shop saved the deductible. The shop usually is not doing/replacing something in order not to take a loss. As stated in a comment you can take your vehicle to any shop that you want to.

I learned a long time ago not to accept the first offer from the insurance company. They want to pay you the least that they can. It is their job. Be nice but firm. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom