Deer moving patterns

greg vess

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Elite Idiot
120   1
Reaction score
I've noticed recently that I haven't seen many deer in the evening or in the mornings around here. It's almost if they know it's hunting season. My visitors haven't been coming around in the mornings anymore. Last night I had to go to the cellar to see where the water shut off valve was and wouldn't you know it all of them were standing in the yard at 11:00 at night. I've always sworn that Virginia deer know exactly when it's season. They either go to the Blue Ridge National Forest or they start moving at night like they are around my house. It's fascinating!

Its almost unnatural. I mean it the darnedest thing I ever seen. Every year like freaking clockwork. The first time I hunted these forest I said it jokingly. However now I believe it whole heartedly.

They start getting shot at, they go nocturnal
Yep I killed a doe Thursday eve in a food plot there were 5 mature does in food plot when I shot the other four got educated.i will wait about 10 days before I go back there and try to kill another.give it time to settle down.

My little 4 point buddy was out again this morning about 1:a.m. He actually got ornery with me last night. I was trying to get around to the back to the cellar again and he was in the way and he stomped and snorted and was not having it. I turned my headlamp on and gave him a good beam in the eyes and then he left, he wasn't happy. Guess I was messing up his breakfast.

I just recall the joke we had always said right before the season open. We use to say tomorrow begins the deer migration. Meaning to Federal Regulated woods ( Blueridge Parkway ) mainly.

Back
Top Bottom