Deer moving patterns

Beginning of the season I let so many does walk I could have filled my card twice. Week later I shot an 8 point, and haven't seen one since except on cams. Now I have one decent buck that shows up at the feeder at early am almost every day, and leaves just as I get in the shooting house, and a bunch of immature bucks that have shown up regularly. It's a 4 point one side county, so they're safe. The moon was super bright last week, so I blame that, but I still question whether they have me pegged every day.

I'm not hunting this year but I see a lot of deer throughout the season at night time and as I'm driving around and I've actually only seen one shooter out of the well I don't know how many beer I've seen. It would have to be upwards of 50 or more since the beginning of bow season. The Young Buck I have in my yard would fill somebody's tag nicely in their mind but I wouldn't take him. If I can't Harvest a good trophy deer I won't take them. Until I find somebody that can give me an excellent recipe for deer then I'm holding off. I've only found a few people that I know that can cook it up the way I like it. I used to live where somebody I knew made excellent sausage but they used a combination of pork and deer used to get that done and then give some of it away and I could make good use of it but for now just me I'm not in a position to use that much meat. I could donate it but that's just killing that's not using up and harvesting for the correct reason.

I'm not hunting this year but I see a lot of deer throughout the season at night time and as I'm driving around and I've actually only seen one shooter out of the well I don't know how many beer I've seen. It would have to be upwards of 50 or more since the beginning of bow season. The Young Buck I have in my yard would fill somebody's tag nicely in their mind but I wouldn't take him. If I can't Harvest a good trophy deer I won't take them. Until I find somebody that can give me an excellent recipe for deer then I'm holding off. I've only found a few people that I know that can cook it up the way I like it. I used to live where somebody I knew made excellent sausage but they used a combination of pork and deer used to get that done and then give some of it away and I could make good use of it but for now just me I'm not in a position to use that much meat. I could donate it but that's just killing that's not using up and harvesting for the correct reason.

Nearly any good chili recipe works with ground venison; made some last week, can't tell the difference from ground beef.

For meat loaf, 1lb of (not low fat) ground beef + 1lb of venison works great.

Crock pot recipes are also great for venison roasts or cubes: Add some chopped onions, mushrooms, peppers, whatever spices you like, and let it cook on low all day.

Marinating venison overnight in pickle brine also works for improving flavor and tenderness.

The young ones do eat better. My wife and I don't really do anything different than we would for beef. We have gotten to where we marinate the steaks though

I have night vision that I use to move in and get set on the WMA where I hunt and I routinely see a pretty massive 8 point buck around. The other hunters I run into on the WMA catch him on trail cameras all the time. He's as old as he is in the highly hunted WMA because he's almost totally nocturnal.
The only time I've seen him during the day I was walking to a blind around 1400 texting my wife and looked up to see him about 50 yards away in the middle of a clearing with his butt pointed at me and his head down grazing. Of course, I was doing the right thing we'd been taught in Hunter Safety courses and had my rifle on my back, empty chamber with scope covers on. The racket I made putting one in the chamber gave him plenty of to prance off into the treeline.

Back
Top Bottom