• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Definition of “Custom” build.

Pfoneman

Wolf Icon
Frontiersman
53   0
Reaction score
Just curious if the general consensus on what a “Custom” build is. It I drop a Timney trigger, and slap a 20 MOA rail on my 10/22, is it custom built? If I throw an extra lower I have together with an upper I had lying around, is that custom built? I just always assumed calling Ga Precision or McWhorter’s with specks and waiting a year on them to put it together and test constituted a custom build. Hell, I might be in the minority on this. I honestly would like to get a consensus of what the majority here at ODT thinks. Thank you and sound off.

Reactions: GFB
People forget that "custom" means tailored to their needs, whatever that may be. Your needs =/= my needs

that’s the way I always looked at it. Custom to my needs. Maybe over time the definition has changed. With the advent of lego firearms, more people are becoming “shade tree” gunsmiths. When I was a kid my dads best friend brought over a rifle he had custom made for himself. I remember how he talked about measuring this and that before it was built so it would feel like an extension of his body when he shot it. Twist rate on barrel for the load he intended to shoot. Sights. Milled scope mounts in the receiver. Stuff like that. To me that was custom.

Reactions: TRS
that’s the way I always looked at it. Custom to my needs. Maybe over time the definition has changed. With the advent of lego firearms, more people are becoming “shade tree” gunsmiths. When I was a kid my dads best friend brought over a rifle he had custom made for himself. I remember how he talked about measuring this and that before it was built so it would feel like an extension of his body when he shot it. Twist rate on barrel for the load he intended to shoot. Sights. Milled scope mounts in the receiver. Stuff like that. To me that was custom.
70s gunsmithing is standard stuff these days so people not in the loop consider it custom and when they realize it's not what they thought it'd be, they push it off as just that. Custom

For me a true custom weapon would likely be put together by a professional that knows what they're doing. It would likely be built to any particulars that I like for a specific use. But make no mistake when it's done it will shoot one hole groups far beyond what most other weapons can do. I have been known to make some changes on my own to enhance performance, but I'd likely leave the serious mods to a real professional

Just curious if the general consensus on what a “Custom” build is. It I drop a Timney trigger, and slap a 20 MOA rail on my 10/22, is it custom built? If I throw an extra lower I have together with an upper I had lying around, is that custom built? I just always assumed calling Ga Precision or McWhorter’s with specks and waiting a year on them to put it together and test constituted a custom build. Hell, I might be in the minority on this. I honestly would like to get a consensus of what the majority here at ODT thinks. Thank you and sound off.
DIY not custom, professionally done custom, Wilson, etc....

Back
Top Bottom