• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Depression era sandwich

Back in the day my brother and I would make elaborate "sandwiches". We only had no-name bread, but would tell each other all the fancy imaginary stuff we were putting on it. Lightly toasted rye, thin sliced pistrami, aged cheeses, dijon mustard, lettuce...etc. In the end it was just two dry slices of cheap bread. He'd go on and on about how amazing the sandwitch was, I'd do the same on his. We were poor, but we were happy.

Back in the day my brother and I would make elaborate "sandwiches". We only had no-name bread, but would tell each other all the fancy imaginary stuff we were putting on it. Lightly toasted rye, thin sliced pistrami, aged cheeses, dijon mustard, lettuce...etc. In the end it was just two dry slices of cheap bread. We were poor, but we were happy.
Balogna was a good sammich back in the day. Tall cotton.

I still love German bologna on sandwiches or fried with eggs. My father always brought a 20 pound hoop of red tine cheese and a stick of bologna every couple months and ne we kept bologna in freezer and you get it out and slice off a slice and fry up and put on sandwiches. We grew about everything we eat except this and bread and milk. I thought growing up on farm was tough but looking back I would not trade it for anything!

Back
Top Bottom