• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Depression era sandwich

In the early ‘70’s, we lived in government housing up north. A city truck would come by and deliver us sandwiches at lunchtime…slice of wheat, slice of white, slice of meat, slice of cheese wrapped in cellophane and served with a cookie and a carton of milk. All the neighborhood kids ran like it was an ice cream truck but it was just a roach coach. Then later after we moved into a house, we’d eat peanut butter and mayonnaise sandwiches when we ran out of jelly. And when we ran out of peanut butter, it was just mayonnaise sandwiches. Sometimes just a jelly sandwich if we didn’t have peanut butter or mayonnaise. You make do with what you have.

I sometimes wonder if I have done my children a disservice since they have never been a position to get creative.
Yeah, I tried that once when my kids were pissing and moaning about “nothing good to eat” in the house. So I went on a rant about how lucky they were to have never known “nothing to eat”. So I recreated a lunch made from what’s on the pantry. I fed them cream of mushroom soup, which you know, isn’t so much a soup as it is just an ingredient for a casserole dish. Told them they had to eat every last bite…my oldest did as told and then promptly threw it all up. She’s 27 now and still likes to tell this story of failed parenting at holidays and family get togethers. “Remember that time I puked up all that mushroom soup you made us eat because you were trying to teach us how tough you had it?” 😂

I don’t think they’ll have memories of growing “free from want” and always having a full pantry and a full fridge and never watching other kids eat lunch at school while they didn’t…but they’ll always remember dad forcing them to eat mushroom f***ing soup that one f***ing time!

Kids. Am I right?🤷‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom