• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Designing outdoor range for training?

araomd

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
59   0
Reaction score
I need some input on an outdoor range for firearms training. I have a place set up already with some target hangers and silhouettes, but I would like to make it better for tactical training and drills. It will be for personal and friend use, not for public.
I would love to attend more courses but find it difficult to find the time to go so I am hoping to have a place close to home I can pop out to train for a couple of hours on the weekends.

Most of the ones I have seen online (like Hicock45) look like they are for more fun and plinking rather than training.
I guess 2 lanes are enough? I have not had more than 2 people firing before, but have room for more.

Here is what I have so far for pistol:
2 ISPC 2/3 scale 3/8" AR500 targets
1 12" gong
2 Wood frame target holders
and I would like to purchase a dueling tree.

I was thinking about getting some 55 gallon steel or plastic drums for fire from cover/concealment. I assume any kind of moving target system would be too expensive for casual use.

For rifle I have 100 yd with a 6" gong. It is in a valley along a creek with high sides and I was wondering if making a course of some type with multiple "stations" would be useful?

Any input from people who do training or have gone to courses would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

What I have so far:
15241813_10210437467628049_315218221166530170_n.jpg

Solid, tall, thick U-shaped berm. Engage forward and laterally. Even better is a berm all the way around, with the 2 ends overlapping for an entrance/exit.

Plastic 55 gallon drums make great barricades and obstacles. Don't use steel. They get shot, you end up with razor sharp edges. Plastic ain't as bad and the barrels are much lighter weight. 2 stacked barrels is an offhand barricade, 1 barrel is great for kneeling, lay one on its side for prone. They can be stacked, edged side-by-side. I have some of the fancy 3-gun wooden barricades and prefer the plastic drums.

Structures to shoot from/around/under/over are great. The stations idea is great, but how long will it be before you know the location and of the stations? Use drums/barricades to make temporary stations. You can move them around. Build some and leave them empty......use "no shoots" and hostages.

Back
Top Bottom