• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Designing outdoor range for training?

Keep some kettlebells, battleropes and heavybags around as well...throw in some firearm fitness training to make it more "across the board training"! You can get real creative for some good drills with that.
images-3.jpeg

If getting a front-loader in there is too difficult, how about a crew of Mexican day-laborers with hand tools and chainsaws? A couple hard-working guys can take a big notch out of a hillside in a short time, as long as it's clay or dirt they're digging, and not rock.

No, I can get a loader in there. So you are not talking about the size of berm/hill, but the angle of incidence of the shot? Is the 50+ feet to the top of the hill not enough?

.... no, because even a 50-foot tall hill can be missed by a bullet that ricochets off the ground at the base of that hill.
Or , the middle of the hill at the 25-foot elevation mark could be where your bullet strikes first, and then glances off the ground to zip off at lethal speed for another mile, going right over the crest of that hill and not coming down again until it's on a collision course with a farmhouse, or a public road.

.... The angle of incidence of the shot is what's important.
At what angle will the bullet impact the backstop?
If it's a nearly perpendicular angle, 90 degrees or close to that, it cannot ricochet.
If it's a sharp angle like 70 degrees, it's unlikely to ricochet, but "if" it did, it would only have a tiny fraction of its energy left.

But from your photo, that sloping hillside looks like a pretty shallow slope, and one that will cause half the bullets to jump back into the air rather than bury themselves in the dirt.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

See video of 7.62 NATO tracers bouncing off a hill. Most of them ricochet. I don't know the exact slope of the hill, but it looks steep enough that if you took a sled down it in the winter snow, you'd go really fast. If you tried riding a bicycle down it, you'd crash and burn.

Check out this video: Guys are shooting a .50 BMG rifle at a target that's in front of a BIG, steep-sided mound of dirt / clay.
A bunch of their bullets hit the base of the mound, or the ground RIGHT IN FRONT OF IT, and instead of the bullet bouncing into the mound, the bullet jumps up at a much steeper angle and goes right over it, tracing for several hundred more yards as it flies.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Another video-- single shot from a .50 at a target that's at the base of what looks like a 100-foot tall mountain out west.
Where does the bullet go? Sharply up and to the right. It clears the mountain and flies way off to the right, where nobody expected it to end up.

To be fair, those are all high caliber rifle rounds. I shoot 9mm ball. Difficult to believe a round nose bullet would behave the same way. But maybe.

Now this guy, shooting a belt-fed 8 x 57mm German machine gun, seems to have a steeper mountain in front of him.

Most of his shots ricochet only a short distance, having been dramatically slowed by their first impact with the ground. They come to rest just a little higher up on the mountainside from where they first struck. A few do ricochet a long distance, some even going right over the summit of the mountain. But most stay on that mountain. I'm guessing this slope was much steeper, and it looks like the snow on the mountainside may have cut down on ricochets.

I never would of thought that they would react like that. But the there's no way that the dirt pile didn't have something in that they were hitting. If a 50 cal will ricochet off of pushed up dirt all you would have to do is lean when someone is shooting at you

Back
Top Bottom