• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Dillon 650

Status
Not open for further replies.

Default rank <3000 posts
ODT Junkie!
46   0
Reaction score
After 15 years of reloading with a 550, I have ordered a 650.

I am going to start out without a case feeder.
I am lazy and have learned quite a few short cuts with the 550 regarding caliber changes.

Do you guys know anything I should know about the 650?

I am familiar with which shell plates can serve more than one caliber, but what about the other parts required for caliber conversion?

I am loading 9, 40, 45, 10, 357, 223, 243, 7-08, 30.06, 30-30, and
375 Winchester.

Thank you in advance.

Changing calibers like from 9mm to .380, or .357 is quick and easy. Changing from a shell with a small primer (9mm) to one with a large primer (45acp) is far more entertaining.

I only load pistol shells on mine. To do a good job on rifle cases requires additional steps like trimming, beveling, primer pocket cleaning that it is hard to justify the trouble if you only do a hundred or so at a time. With a case feeder, and my wife dumping cases into the feeder and filling primer feed tubes, 6-700 rounds an hour is easy.

L@@k, at the GIRAUD TRIMMER, does three jobs at a time, trims case, and bevels both inside and outside in one simple process.

Expensive, have had the DILLON 1200 for 20 years, but when I purchased the GIRAUD TRIMMER, we have been more than pleased.

Before you say to expensive remember you just purchased the BEST IN THE WEST, A DILLON 650 PRESS. They aren't cheap either, buy it once and then your done.

Give them a look and see what it can do for you...

Only a suggestion..

This may sound counter Dillon esque, but,
I use a Square Deal B for pistols and a 550 for rifles. I like the auto indexing on the SDB. But the 650 is auto indexing, right?
It would be great to have a large and small primer press set up though&#8230;..

I started on a square deal, then the 550, now the 650.

I will likely sell the 550. I may just do my large primer calibers on my Lee Classic Cast.

I started on a square deal, then the 550, now the 650.

I will likely sell the 550. I may just do my large primer calibers on my Lee Classic Cast.

I am doing my pistol calibers on my 650 and rifle calibers on the 550. I have been using my Lee classic for load development and depriming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom