• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Do Walmart Auto Mechanics work on commission

Triathloncoach

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
201   0
Reaction score
I felt that way after I recently bought a tire from them for my wife's car. I was in the store in the morning and they quoted me a price on a tire, then when I arrived they said those tires had sold during the day. The new tire was $50 more. It was a sized 65 vs a 60 if that means anything?

I spoke with the guy who did the work, and he seemed to be selling me. I have never felt this way before at Walmart Automotive. Does this mean it's one more place I need to be "on guard" for the frivolous upsell?

They have a good laff when they sell you the incorrect size tire for your vehicle! What size is on the label on the door?

Last edited:
Typically places like Wal-mart will only install the size that is called for on the label on the door for liability reasons. They usually won't touch it otherwise. They may have sold out of the one he quoted, but he should not have offered you a different size at all.

Doubt it, but don't know.

wouldn't surprise me if they only have a few on hand, when I checked for pricing on mine they didn't have them at all and its a fairly common size. Their price was higher than discount anyway.

how to measure a tire.
215...this is the measurement in millimeters of the tread width
60....this is the height of the sidewall. 60% of the tread width
R15...Diameter of the rim in inches

All together...215/60/r15

So changing one number changes the outer circumference which changes distance traveled in relation to RPM of the Tire. Your speedometer wont reflect correct road speed. with a small change from 60%-65% the difference in road speed is minimal and should not cause more than a mile or so an hour more.

YES you were being SOLD incorrect tires. Associate didn't want to loose your business cause they ran out of the correct tire.

On a futher note, If this was on a newer car with all wheel ABS, all four tires must be of the same size. If you changed less than four your ABS light will activate and cancel your ABS due to the difference in wheel speed between the tires. Also, if two different sized tires were on the same drive axle, damage can occur to the differential over time.

Last edited:
how to measure a tire.

So changing one number changes the outer circumference which changes distance traveled in relation to RPM of the Tire. Your speedometer wont reflect correct road speed. with a small change from 60%-65% the difference in road speed is minimal and should not cause more than a mile or so an hour more.

YES you were being SOLD incorrect tires. Associate didn't want to loose your business cause they ran out of the correct tire.

On a futher note, If this was on a newer car with all wheel ABS, all four tires must be of the same size. If you changed less than four your ABS light will activate and cancel your ABS due to the difference in wheel speed between the tires. Also, if two different sized tires were on the same drive axle, damage can occur to the differential over time.

id say the correct size is what they sold him , he probably was sold the wrong size at a local shop who didn't care. they should have (or did) tell him he should replace them with the correct size, im leaning toward we havent heard the whole story.

- - - Updated - - -

how to measure a tire.

id say the correct size is what they sold him , he probably was sold the wrong size at a local shop who didn't care. they should have (or did) tell him he should replace them with the correct size, im leaning toward we haven't heard the whole story.

Back
Top Bottom