• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Do you notice any difference in the taste of deer?

Do you notice any difference in the taste of venison?

• No, I'll eat 'em all.

Votes: 18 45.0%
  • Yes, but not enough to matter.

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Yes, I can't eat bucks or rutting bucks.

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • All venison tacos are top shelf.

Votes: 8 20.0%

• Total voters
I shoot them in the neck or head so there is immediate death and no chance for the deer to stress and no organs are "accidentally" ruptured letting bile out to be exposed to the meat. When I shoot a deer I'm done for that hunt (just my rule) and I get down and take it straight to the processor (only 10 min's away) so it doesn't sit for an extended amount of time and I can rarely tell a difference between a buck and doe. How you prep and cook the meat helps as well. We never buy beef, all we eat is deer and its been that way for 20yrs or more. About 12yrs ago my mother in law (who doesn't like the taste of venison) was well into her 2nd pc of fried cubed steak when my father in law asked if it was deer because he couldn't tell by the taste. When I told him it was, she immediately turned her plate so the meat was away from her and she never touched it again. We all waited a few min's before just rolling laughing because she was going after that thing like a starved dog before hand. She didn't talk to us for the rest of the evening!

Back
Top Bottom