• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Do you notice any difference in the taste of deer?

Do you notice any difference in the taste of venison?

• No, I'll eat 'em all.

Votes: 18 45.0%
  • Yes, but not enough to matter.

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Yes, I can't eat bucks or rutting bucks.

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • All venison tacos are top shelf.

Votes: 8 20.0%

• Total voters
Some people comment they don't like to eat bucks, or maybe just not during the rut, because they taste to 'gamey' or even 'musky' etc...
So the question is, do you notice any difference in taste in deer and do you not shoot them because of that.

I've never noticed any difference and my personal opinion is the timeliness and method of processing has infinitely more to do with the taste than the sex or time of year. But interested in yours.
I can't agree with you more. I have mine processed and they hang it for at least 7 days. My 2.5yr old buck and my 7.5yr old buck tasted the same. Killed them both last year 2 weeks apart in mid Novemberl. Both showed signs of rutting activity.

I have a friend in SC that feeds corn year around. They feed every day and I swear the meat is different. It even looks different. I know guys that prefer aging their deer in the back of a pickup in the hot Ga. sun. I think it's a personal preference. I take mine to the cooler and they hang for a few before butchering. They all taste about the same, the way I like them.

They probably don't let the meat sit in the cooler long enough to bleed out. I usually wait a week.(7 days) they all taste the same to me. The younger deer are more tender though. That's the only difference.

It's their diet that makes them taste like goat piss. Acorns. Nothing will get it out. Wrap the blackstrap in bacon and grill. Make the rear quarters into jerky, or biltong, and grind the rest for chili.

Wish I had a meat locker but I don't. I shoot mine, gut and skin them within 2 hours. Then I debone the meat and put it in a cooler on ice for 3-4 days while I let the melted ice drain out and add new ice as needed. What do y'all think of that method?

I have a buddy who does the same but puts his meat in zip lock bags because he says being wet is bad for the meat?

Iv'e done that with 90 % of the deer iv'e killed, leave the drain open and let the blood water run out. When you take the meat out it's white, put it on the counter and it turns back red. Never heard getting meat wet in ice is bad for it.

Back
Top Bottom