• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

does Steak and Shake cater to a certain crowd?

Met a former co-worker for lunch at the S&S near Hamilton Place mall in Chattanooga. I've eaten there 2-3 times a year for the past 10 years or so and it's usually a decent place. However since the Chinese flu things have changed...

We walked in and there was our former co-worker sitting at a table with a menu. We sat down with him and proceeded to catch up on all the things he has been up to and we were updating him on work issues since he left. After 10-15 minutes I thought it was really odd that no waitress had stopped by to get our drink/food orders and the table had food scraps from whoever was there before us. Five minutes later I asked why nobody had taken our food order and then former co-worker informs us that "you have to order at the cash register, they don't have waitresses anymore." Well ding-dong, why didn't you tell us that to start with and we would already be chowing down on some greasy hamburgers!!

So we join a line of about 6 people who are ordering and before we get to order about 6-8 more people come in to stand behind us. It took about 15 minutes after we ordered for them to yell out our order number and I'll admit the food was no better or worse than it ever was but the prices were several dollars higher. Although I was a minority race nobody started trouble and we left the table a little cleaner than it was when we first sat down. The trash cans were overflowing so it was hard to dump things in and stack the trays up. Pretty sure I won't be going back for a year or two and maybe never. The next week we ate at a Dari-Queen and it was a very pleasant experience.

I'd have dropped that ****ing tray right where I stood like it was radioactive, LOL.
Don't forget to maintain eye contact. Once your hands are free, be sure to mark your territory so they know you are alpha.
vcU.gif

just wondering because it felt like I stepped back in time. right away, I noticed a customer gave me the evil eye stare. I saw an associate clear away a table earlier. Later, as I was throwing away my tray, an associate yelled out for us to clear away the rest of the table (only so much I could carry at the time). I'm asian and I am perfectly OK if your place caters to a certain crowd, I just need to know so I can avoid it, forever... it's been like 10 years since I've been in 1.
I am sorry it happened to you.

Steak and Shake, as a business, fascinates me. Their customer service is universally poor. The food is subpar...their fries? Forget about it. The food takes FOR-EVER to come out. I haven't been to one in several years. Glad to hear they are about the same as they ever have been.

To the OP, Gwinnett is more Asian than any other part of the metro area. There is a huge Korean population there. I drive out that way sometimes just to eat. It's literally called the "Seoul of the South." I highly doubt anyone even noticed you were Asian.
So, it's the place to go for Seoul Food?

Back
Top Bottom