• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Does Your City/County Trust Criminals More Than Law Abiding Citizens?

They could just save a step and call it "city hall and court" like others are doing. Then it would be just like old times. Armed criminals could come and go as they pleased while the law abiding disarm before entering. Ah. the good old days.

City of Augusta:

http://chronicle.augusta.com/news/g...doesnt-stop-gun-prohibition-augusta-municipal

Georgia House Bill 60 doesn't stop gun prohibition at Augusta Municipal Building
Secured government buildings are off-limits

Despite the passage and implementation today of Georgia House Bill 60, ordinary armed Augustans still can’t carry their weapons, concealed or otherwise, into the city’s municipal building, courthouse or sheriff’s office.

"ordinary armed Augustans" bold mine

We are now "ordinary"

For Augusta Recreation, Parks and Facilities visitors the rules aren’t changing, either, and permit holders are allowed to carry weapons on city property.
“The only place guns specifically can be prevented is where there is literally a guard at the door,” said Recreation Director Bob Levine. “We don’t have that situation at any of our facilities.”
So visitors with weapons carry licenses may continue to carry at city community centers, pools and parks, as well as the Augusta Canal Authority National Heritage Area, where new signs remind visitors about another law that remains in effect – visitors are forbidden to discharge weapons, according to authority marketing manager Rebecca Rogers.

New signs? They think folks think the new law allows them to go shooting anywhere? Oh yeah the media told everyone "wild west."

City of Avondale Estates:

http://www.decaturish.com/2014/07/gun-bill-bums-avondale/

Avondale Estates City Hall is about as close to Mayberry as local government gets in metro Atlanta.

There’s no one stopping you when you come through the door, and the secretary always has a smile for you when you walk into the City Manager’s office.

But Georgia’s new gun law will change all that. During the July 23 City Commission work session, Police Chief Gary Broden explained how the city will have to change the way it does business because of House Bill 60, aka the Guns Everywhere Bill, which went into effect on July 1.

“The biggest thing is once we close those doors and make that a service window, that’s going to be a big change for everybody,” Brown said. “We have an open door policy. That’s going to be a tough one.”

The law is tough on law enforcement too, Brown said.

“With the new law that has passed, there could be someone walking around the lake on our pathway with a longgun strapped to their backs,” Brown said. “Police officers cannot go challenge them and say, ‘Do you have a permit?’ That is a lawsuit waiting to happen. You’ve got to have probable cause.”

Broden predicted that there will be revisions to the law in the upcoming session of the state Legislature.

“This has been a big discussion with the chiefs …,” he said. “You’re going to see a change by this time next year. There’s going to be change.”

Locally, the changes will come much sooner than that. Putting extra security in place and watching residents with cameras sounded more like Orwell than Avondale to the city commissioners.

“Where were the grown ups when this legislation was being considered,” Commissioner John Quinn asked.

Hey Avondale Estates.....

img.tapatalk.com_d_14_07_25_erubaqu8.jpg

Be nice if the Avondale Estates city manger knew the law before making comments. HB 60 has a much to do with an open long gun as it does with the price of rice in China.

Maybe off subject but read this and then think about it . . .

*Today, I swung my front door wide open and placed my Remington 30.06 right
in my doorway. I left 6 shells beside it, then left it alone and went about
my business. While I was gone, the mailman delivered my mail, the neighbor
boy across the street mowed the yard, a girl walked her dog down the
street, and quite a few cars stopped at the stop sign near the front of our
house. After about an hour, I checked on the gun. It was still sitting
there, right where I had left it. It hadn't moved itself outside. It
certainly hadn't killed anyone, even with the numerous opportunities it had
been presented to do so. In fact, it hadn't even loaded itself. Well you
can imagine my surprise, with all the media hype about how dangerous guns
are and how they kill people. Either the media is wrong, or I'm in
possession of the laziest gun in the world. The United States is 3rd in
murders throughout the World, but, if you take
out Chicago, Detroit,Washington DC and New Orleans, the United States is
4th from the bottom for murders. These 4 Cities also have the toughest gun
control laws in the United States, and all 4 are controlled by
Democrats. It would be absurd to draw any conclusions from this data –
right? Well, I'm off to check on my spoons - I hear they're making people
fat.*

More on

City of Brookhaven:

http://brookhavenpost.co/guns-at-city-hall-council-balks-at-costs-undecided-whether-to-ban/19633

Many of Georgia’s 538 cities are faced with allocating a meaningful percentage of their budgets to outfit their government buildings and staff with certified law enforcement to meet the requirements should they decide to ban guns.

Mattison said that he knows the new law brings with it a sense of heightened awareness. “There is a sense of fear that someone could walk in here with a sidearm and start firing but that same risk existed prior to this law. I’ve never seen that occasion here. I’m not there yet,” said Mattison.

Garrett told the council, “We do live in a different world. You never know what sets off a trigger for somebody.” Garrett asked the Council to think about it and give her an opportunity to look into it some more. “Hopefully this law is going to find a way to correct itself,” Garrett added.

“It is a substantial cost to the taxpayers,” said Mattison while explaining to Garrett that the money may be better spent on another officer on the streets.

Garrett said she was aware that some on the council are struggling with the idea of spending money on the security measures. She said she would like to continue to talk about it during the City’s upcoming budget season.

What do you think? Should citizens be allowed to bring guns in to City Hall if they are licensed to do so? Should they be banned? Tell us below in comments.

Back
Top Bottom