• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Dominant Eye...

Thanks for the ideas-

My bud likes to shoot ARs, but has to use his non-dominant eye since he says the brass hits him in the face if he shoots an AR left-handed.
He is an excellent pistol shooter, but has never felt as good with a rifle-probably because of this cross-dominance. I bet someone makes a special brass deflector for lefties. I would rather not mess with the eye thing unless we have to.

Come to think of it-he may be talking about the brass hitting him from his old style AR. I thought that ridge on the side of the newer ones was supposed to take care of such problems. I will endeavor to find out whether that may be the only one causing any problems.

they should not be hitting him in the face, they should be going out and up. Stag Arms makes one for lefties and ejects to the left.

I am also right handed, left eye dominate. I say for him to shoot which ever way feels natural to him. There are plenty of options out there in guns for lefty, even though I shoot mostly right handed guns. Biggest shortfall in the industry is the lack of 20ga. options in automatic shotguns, don't know why that hasn't kept up. Shooting lefty will give him an advantage expecially in shotgunning, his strong arm is controlling the business end of the gun. I do have the occasional .22 hull go down my short sleeve shirt out of my Marlin and causing a bit of dancing, but it is what it is. Ya need to teach him just to do what feels right and natural, and with practice he'll get the accuracy.

Just me $.02 worth.

Nick T

Back
Top Bottom