Double slam fire in 1911

GeauxLSU

Default rank 5000+ posts
Corn Pop
Staff member
Super Moderator
63   0
Reaction score
Where the stars at night are big and bright.
:shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked:

So yesterday I took my wife shooting. She's NOT very comfortable with handguns yet so we worked up from a .22 revolver, .380, 9mm to the 1911 (.45acp). On the very first mag, the gun slam fired as she released the slide! I was watching her and told her she must have touched the trigger. Thank God we had JUST had the "always pointed in a safe direction" conversation, but needless to say it shook her (and me) up pretty good. I really hate that for her. She got through about 4 rounds and said "no thanks". I was surprised she wanted to pull the trigger at all after that. I finished firing it. Loaded another couple mags without issue. THEN.... I had just 2 rounds left in this particular box and loaded them. Released the slide and it did it again and immediately fired BOTH rounds! Two thoughts came to mind. 1) I had no idea a 1911 could cycle that fast (I mean it was instantaneous :shocked:) and 2) What in the world would have happened if I had a full 8 rounds loaded, and was at a public range? :faint:

I "assume" it's a bad sear and I'll call Remington tomorrow but any other ideas?

It's a WW2 vintage Remington 1911A1 (that despite it's age I bet hasn't had 2,000 rounds fired through it, though yeah, who really knows) and it was some very old (30 years+) reloads. I haven't shot this gun much, probably less 500 rounds but have never had this issue before (obviously). :noidea:

Put a new sear spring in it, and inspect the hammer and sear for a "trigger job", replace as necessary.
I got one cerakoted (hammer included) a while back and the hammer would not catch properly. It would follow and when it caught, you could push it forward without any issues. I didn't shoot it until everything safe. Replaced all the internals with Wilson Combat and now it is GTG. You might also check the firing pin channel/spring and make sure there isn't crap in there keeping the FP from moving back from breech face. Glad no one was hurt and you were practicing good muzzle discipline.

Thorough inspection but first question would be if the gun has had any modifications? Probably replace the hammer spring to start and recheck.

Reactions: RAY
An issue with one or more of the following: sear spring/sear/hammer hooks.

I saw a competition 1911 go full auto in the Corps after a failure of the sear nose. The cyclic rate is scary fast. 5 rounds so fast it sounded like an A-10.

Take it to a reputable 'smith and have the ignition system replaced. Steels back then aren't quite what the steels today are.

Back
Top Bottom