• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

DR brush mower question

Thanks for all the replies. A tractor is my ultimate goal but the brush cutters are a lot less expensive. I could hire someone but I kind of like doing these sorts of things my self. Thanks again to everyone and have a safe Memorial day. God bless!
Mike

In my experience the best way to fight kudzu is to cut it where it is coming out of the ground with a utility knife. Then spray roundup on the root right after cut it. Hit it once a month until you have found all the rootheads.

If you don’t spray roundup on the root after you cut it it will grow back faster than you can mow it.

And like everyone says, you need a tractor and a bush hog, or Mother Nature is gonna wear you out.

We've got one. Kawasaki engine, turn key starting, 4 speed self propelled transmission.

For it's size, it's an amazing machine. It performs as advertised. We use it to mow brush patches, briar patches, etc. We rarely cut anything larger that quarter sized small trees/bushes, but it handles it with ease.

It's not too bad as far as beating you up, in my opinion. Adjust your speed to the terrain/job at hand, and it's not too bad. Turning it around when you get to the end of the row your working is a pain sometimes, it doesn't have trick brakes or anything, so you have to hoss it around.

I'd recommend it for general upkeep of small to midsize jobs, but the speed and size of the machine is not practical for larger jobs.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the replies. A tractor is my ultimate goal but the brush cutters are a lot less expensive. I could hire someone but I kind of like doing these sorts of things my self. Thanks again to everyone and have a safe Memorial day. God bless!
Mike

Mike, I was in the same situation as you about seven years ago. Needed some heavy duty brush cutting capability for acreage. I ended up buying a refurbished 26hp Yanmar tractor with a 5' brush cutter. Spent a bit less than $6k, and that included a box blade. Tractor was made in 1979, refurbished in Alabama in 2011. Looked like new when purchased. It's been an amazing piece of equipment. Strong. Simple. Reliable (replaced the starter solenoid, only non-maintenance item that's gone wrong on the tractor since I bought it).

I've cut brush, cut ATV trails, mow, use it to maintain a 600' driveway, move dirt and gravel (bought a rear scoop, aka, poor man's loader), skid logs, moved heavy stuff, all kinds of chores.

They are hard to find "new" refurbed these days. The place in Alabama (Fredericks) that refurbs them doesn't seem to have as many any more, and the dealers are harder to come by than seven years ago. You can find these tractors used on craigslist, and might be able to pick one up for a few grand. Well worth it over a DR mower.

I'm going to upgrade sometime in the next year or so to a larger tractor with a loader. Wife wants more gardens, and I need to be able to easily lift logs onto a mill setup. If it's of interest, keep in touch and I'll make you a deal on my Yanmar.

Reactions: (M)
Mike, I was in the same situation as you about seven years ago. Needed some heavy duty brush cutting capability for acreage. I ended up buying a refurbished 26hp Yanmar tractor with a 5' brush cutter. Spent a bit less than $6k, and that included a box blade. Tractor was made in 1979, refurbished in Alabama in 2011. Looked like new when purchased. It's been an amazing piece of equipment. Strong. Simple. Reliable (replaced the starter solenoid, only non-maintenance item that's gone wrong on the tractor since I bought it).

I've cut brush, cut ATV trails, mow, use it to maintain a 600' driveway, move dirt and gravel (bought a rear scoop, aka, poor man's loader), skid logs, moved heavy stuff, all kinds of chores.

They are hard to find "new" refurbed these days. The place in Alabama (Fredericks) that refurbs them doesn't seem to have as many any more, and the dealers are harder to come by than seven years ago. You can find these tractors used on craigslist, and might be able to pick one up for a few grand. Well worth it over a DR mower.

I'm going to upgrade sometime in the next year or so to a larger tractor with a loader. Wife wants more gardens, and I need to be able to easily lift logs onto a mill setup. If it's of interest, keep in touch and I'll make you a deal on my Yanmar.
Thanks for the information. A tractor is my ultimate goal but with 3 young kids the wife digs in about the price of them every time I bring it up. I'll definitely be watching the equipment that comes up for sale. Thanks again and God bless.
Mike

Contract an individual who has a tractor and bush hog, do not contract anyone with less than a 50 h.p. tractor, small units with take up 3x the time to cut it...

just simple previous experience...

Reactions: (M)
Back
Top Bottom