Septic pump question

Status
Not open for further replies.

WallsGa

Wolf Icon Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
342   0
Reaction score
My folks are looking at buying a new home. Apparently the house has a septic pump (is the tank uphill?). There is a little dome thingy in the yard over the pump, and a red light warning beacon on the house.

Are these things prone to fail? How long do they last? What the average repair/replacement cost of one?

Thanks,

Pumps are mechanical. That being said "anything mechanical" can and will wear out! A decent grinder pump of at least 1hp will set you back about 800.00 or more. If installed and set up correctly you should get a lot of years of service. The biggest killer of pumps is short cycling. The longer the pump runs the better.

Pumps are mechanical. That being said "anything mechanical" can and will wear out! A decent grinder pump of at least 1hp will set you back about 800.00 or more. If installed and set up correctly you should get a lot of years of service. The biggest killer of pumps is short cycling. The longer the pump runs the better.
I assume that the pump will lift out of the tank to the leach field.

My folks are looking at buying a new home. Apparently the house has a septic pump (is the tank uphill?). There is a little dome thingy in the yard over the pump, and a red light warning beacon on the house.
Several different setups regarding tanks, pumps, etc. Some have a macerating pump, usually in its own sump/collection basin, that macerates and pumps everything to an actual septic tank that allows separation of solids from the liquid, then the liquid effluent flows to the field lines. Or, as I have at my lake house, the main septic tank where solid/liquid separation occurs, then the liquid effluent flows into the small pump well/collection tank, and the pump then pumps the liquid up to a secondary collection tank. The upper collection tank, which is about 20 feet higher on an upper "non-waterfront" lot away from the main septic system, then allows outflow to the field lines.

On the primary septic tank and pump, I have an alarm system (red light and audio alarm) that is "level actuated" so that, in the case of a pump failure or loss of power, the high level activates an alarm to let me know that the pump has failed to pump down the liquid level. Note that, in my case, there are two power feeds to the pump and the alarm. That way, if the pump loses power or fails, the alarm is on a a separate power feed so it can still actuate on a high-level condition.

My system is about 38 years old and the pump was replaced about 15 years ago by the previous owner. I have no complaints on the functionality and dependability of this system. I do add a monthly septic tank treatment (Bio-Active) that helps break down waste, paper, oil/grease, etc.

Well if it were me, I wouldn't want to rely on a pump as my sole system. If it's just for the basement, that's one thing. But for the whole house, no. At least then if you have a failure, you still have options. Otherwise, not

It 'could' be a bad float switch if there's one there; may be if it's pumping uphill.
Is it hardwired or have a weatherproof plug-in ?
No idea. It’s a home they viewed yesterday. As far as I know it works correctly. We have never had a home with a septic pump and want to see if there are any associated issues we should be aware of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom