• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Drug Dogs Ran Through Forest Service Campground at Tsali NC

mountainpass

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
15   0
Reaction score
The son of a friend of mine was camping in the Tsali Campground with his buddies in NC recently. They were sitting by the campfire when he said a couple of Rangers with dogs came up and walked around their cars and tents. He said apparently the meth problem up there is bad. I said apparently it pales in comparision to the problem the Rangers have with the Bill of Rights.

So if you are camping on Federal Property ($15 check to the USDA) do you suspend your 4th amendment rights?

it is an "open air sniff", so it does not have anything to do with your 4th. Just like at school, K9 handlers take the dogs through the lockers and parking lot without consent as they are not technically searching inside your property. compare it to "plain view", if they walked in the parking lot and saw drugs inside your vehicle, woudl that be a search ?

It sucks, but if your not doing anything illegal, I wouldnt worry about it, but if they do alert on your car, make them get a warrant and dont give consent

Can they open air sniff on my property?

This is a fee paid campsite. What are your rights in your tent?

You have an expectation of privacy on your property and that is why they do trash pulls.

Regarding the campsite, you pay a fee to use the site from the gov't (imagine that, taxes and then a fee to use land) for the amount of time specified, so think of it as landlord/renter. You are a renter and they are the landlord. They have the right to open air sniff on their property, especially if they have alot of issues they can use that as Articulable Reasonable Suspecion (ARS) to investigate campers. Now, inside your tent, you would have privacy, but "air" is not private, that is why they can do that, walk the dog around your car or tent without going in it unless the dog alerts.

Then since your vehicle is mobile, it falls under extigent circumstances and they can detain you until a warrant is secured, or impound the vehicle and obtain your information until they search a car (that is extreme)

Now on Fed land, US has a little more authority and can charge you federally which is worse, if the locals cannot get cooperation, they can call the US Ranger and it could go down hill.

Im not saying this to scare you, but they can do this legally. It is annoying to those who do no wrong and I wouldnt give permission to search my things either even after being in law enforcement.

You're on their property they aren't in yours .... Is there really any right to privacy when you're on federal property?

The son of a friend of mine was camping in the Tsali Campground with his buddies in NC recently. They were sitting by the campfire when he said a couple of Rangers with dogs came up and walked around their cars and tents. He said apparently the meth problem up there is bad. I said apparently it pales in comparision to the problem the Rangers have with the Bill of Rights.

So if you are camping on Federal Property ($15 check to the USDA) do you suspend your 4th amendment rights?

sounds like they are gonna do whether they want to or not.

this goes for dealing with any law enforcement though, so dont volunteer any information

Back
Top Bottom