• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Dualsport advice needed

Figured I’d revive this thread. Finally had settled on a CRF250L but ended up picking up a new KLX250 after realizing these were reintroduced last year with fuel injection after a 2 year hiatus. Same price as the CRF250L, both are six-speed, fuel injected, and liquid cooled. After sitting on both, I preferred the Kawi as it’s narrower and lighter. It’s no speed demon but cruises happily at 55-60mph, is getting excellent MPG (70ish), and feels like an actual dirt bike off-road. OTD was $5,600 so cant complain about the price either.

Funny, my buddy recently purchased a KLR650 like many suggested on here. Nice bike and much better on the road but it’s a beast off-road for a short legged guy like me.
hard to go wrong with any of the newer 250's. I know lots of folks scoff at them but I've had a few friends with the WR250R's that rode them everywhere and flogged the piss out of them. NO issues at all. They had to rev them and make some basic mods to get them where they wanted (exhaust, power commander, gearing and suspension) but they were very capable, even fully loaded and traveling.

I do a lot of DS riding when I have the time (I was supposed to ride the Smokey Mountain 500 this past weekend but the weather scared a few of the guys and we bailed). Buddy and I rode saturday, north of Dawsonvile and up to Suches, hit flatlands and then back. I was on my KTM 950 Super Enduro and he was on his modified DR650. With he right mods his DR is pretty solid (he has a Super Enduro as well, we both did the 24 hour race in AL on the 950's). His DR has Ohlins rear shock, RMZ450 forks, some engine work, and a lot of little mods to make it more comfortable for him (he's like 6'5"). But the bike works well in the rough stuff. There's some fun riding around North GA, lots of Forest Service roads to explore and find places to ride.

VUm-EqDCZoafNXAoeCs8z3kR3kMlI-EjrHGwVpG9hONug_Fg2anhDJfsmZDsQOZNxU4wUUZEy-uVPiqPKScMh0yMFA45RcSr8lq3DvYszecjK0Stqx0_V_IkrURA3arbW7QiIhA-MaTbi6VF96mfmHEeg0A-3UQLhJiZvV3zN91X1HofaOOOwgHpUUkROZTdlON1Ak24Ocy97xQejPvAIcPT7qSD9qMwhY7yvtfI19NEu2pCTOHeedAd69glLDF3x6OtsXMLdno16wksuL4riAkOb9GDtzK-TRQtY6sea8QHMDZHFGBL81_R3JXUVISMbVeLdhTNOGkgFnlSWxKKRV-_2IsJk5ZmbEnTOp93zH6C1YjUgLZ9Aem7jvANo0klBmpYw1fTjgdL4w8s4vX9O4EKR6r4C1JT2b0srd45fqZFKoSDHM-yJse6ofI9dTJaOSzcFnWnpNaXnG2GK26MVRnKgeKkrj2tzbkVmjT9MH30IVVL19lKOzURB678zqjmrCfupsvpWSaTLyq01x4Sj1eutzw0YYPmnb9XnS_h855jsJPpOEbex1d_nyoShv0cc_il7GUUFjq51LQ1jGURrGKVVZ9gZdJM_QU4ep0gz-9A3DExBe0ov1Jy3jmYqO9nRzVZOvp0rCl70Ck-I7rL8VclK7dHHjyI=w1717-h967-no

I have to say, I’m enjoying this little bike a lot. I’ve realized you have to rev the piss out of it but it moves decent if you do so I got a new sprocket and a FMF Q4 on the way. The sprocket should put it in the RPMs easier and the FMF should cover the sound of the engine at 10k rpm, haha.

A DR650 may be a future bike of mine. Missed a nice deal on one here a few months ago, been kicking myself since.

Where'd you get the KLX250 from? I've been thinking about them but the only place ive seen them is mountain motorsports and really wouldn't want to go through them.

I am 6'2" and 240, loved my KLR 250 off road, no speed demon, but rode nice and soft with my setup. I am not a fan of the ball busting hard suspensions. I do not race, just ride to enjoy.
Decent around town, stayed away from the interstates.

Sold my BMW 800 Adventure a few years back, just have a KTM 450 EXC, that would be a great next bike for you.

Where'd you get the KLX250 from? I've been thinking about them but the only place ive seen them is mountain motorsports and really wouldn't want to go through them.
Gainesville Motorsports. They were very nice and price matched Mega Motorsports which was originally about $350 cheaper.

Reactions: VME
I have to say, I’m enjoying this little bike a lot. I’ve realized you have to rev the piss out of it but it moves decent if you do so I got a new sprocket and a FMF Q4 on the way. The sprocket should put it in the RPMs easier and the FMF should cover the sound of the engine at 10k rpm, haha.

A DR650 may be a future bike of mine. Missed a nice deal on one here a few months ago, been kicking myself since.
love my DR650 - Let me know if you want to try to hit some trails

Attachments

• IMG_3521.jpg
    IMG_3521.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 11
  • MVIMG_20171105_162044.jpg
    MVIMG_20171105_162044.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 10
Back
Top Bottom