• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Duck hunting

Georgia hunting can be very difficult, but very rewarding. We hunted private and public land last year and killed a decent amount of birds, but not until later in the season. December of this past year was awful. Shot maybe 3 birds the whole month. My buddy and I hunted the Mississippi Delta last year, we had one decent day when it got really cold and started snowing, but it was slow compared to what MS should be producing late in the season, plus the delta closed due to flooding which screwed us over. Back to Georgia, lake Oconee can be good hunting, but good grief were there a ton of hunters there this year. Later in the season it started to die down probably due to people not killing a lot, and a lot of people quit after a while anyway. If you're hunting public land, scout it a often, and get to your spot EARLY if you wanna beat the crowds. Depending on what kind of water you're hunting (swamps vs. open water) your possibilities on what ducks you may kill are endless. I would be happy to answer any questions you have! Good luck!

Being from south Louisiana,.... Georgia doesn't have any duck hunting, at all.
To answer your question though, Woodies, mallards, mergansers would be the three most likely suspects. If you're out there on the right day early season, the BWTeal might cooperate. Beyond that, you might see anything from the Atlantic flyway but can't imagine numbers to make anything else a target species.

View attachment 833430 View attachment 833432 View attachment 833434
Clark hill and Lake Oconee has some decent hunting. Don't expect a lot out of GA though. I got me a new duck boat for Arkansas, hopefully it will be loaded this year!
2016 Havoc 1656DBST with a 50HP Tohatsu painted to match the boat.

You might wanna check the regs at Dave Donaldson. If it is anything like Bayou Meto WMA in Stuttgart they limit the HP on boat motors to 25 HP for duck hunting vessels and they don't play when it comes to out of state water fowl hunters breaking the regs.

Seminole and divers. There are a few puddle ducks. These days you will see more hunters than ducks probably. Scout and go really early. The open water is the best place to kill them. You need a bunch of coot and a handful of diver dekes. They will need long lines usually. The ducks feed with the coots. That lake is full of timber and can get really rough in a hurry. Fog is also a concern there so be safe if you go. I haven't hunted it in years but some things never change.

Reelfoot can be good if the weather up north is bad. Guntersville can also be real good, but you need to scout a lot and take your own island to hunt around. It gets VERY crowded, especially on weekends. Monday or Tuesdays are the best, but the birds are worn out from the weekend warriors.

Back
Top Bottom