• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Dumping EVs, returning to gasoline powered vehicles.

I think EV’s have their place, especially in warmer climates if you don’t drive on long trips. My sister would be perfect. 5 miles from work, travels often but flies. It wouldn’t work for me.

On the other hand, There was a Scottish couple who drove from the North Pole to the South Pole I think. About 20K miles. It was a heavily modified vehicle, had an espresso machine and only took 9 months! That’s almost 75 miles per day! You surely couldn’t walk that fast and it’s only about 270 days slower than flying.

Of course, they partnered with a company, Enel X, to install 20 or so chargers in South America where there were gaps in coverage. And when chargers weren’t available, they used fossil fuel generators to charge. They also had a team traveling with them in the coldest areas to mitigate any problems.

So see? EV’s can do the job just fine.

I think EV’s have their place in history books, but not on Americas roads and interstates. EVs are NOT the future, they are a Green New Deal scam meant to fleece people out of their hard earned monies.

I think EV’s have their place in history books, but not on Americas roads and interstates. EVs are NOT the future, they are a Green New Deal scam meant to fleece people out of their hard earned monies.
From The Saturday Evening Post in 1930 where the author is recalling the very early days of "horseless carriages":

"Things are very different today. But in the ’90s, even though I had a successful bicycle business, and was building my first car in the privacy of the cellar in my home, I began to be pointed out as “the fool who is fiddling with a buggy that will run without being hitched to a horse.” My banker called on me to say: “Winton, I am disappointed in you.”

That riled me, but I held my temper as I asked, “What’s the matter with you?” He bellowed: “There’s nothing the matter with me. It’s you! You’re crazy if you think this fool contraption you’ve been wasting your time on will ever displace the horse.”

Here's the link:
Saturday Evening Post

Many people thought "horseless carriages" were doomed, too. Remember the industry leader, Tesla, has only been in existence at all for about 20 years, and only produced their first car in 2008. GM produced the "Impact" in the early 90s, but gas was cheap and no one was interested, so they let it die. It's only since Tesla that there's been a real push.

By comparison the first 'horseless carriage' was sold in America around 1897, but gasoline cars didn't really start taking off until the 20's or so. New technology takes time.

I, for one, am willing to entertain all options, depending upon my needs. Right now EV does not fit my needs because the initial investment is more than I'm willing to pay for ANY car. But as technology improves and prices come down, who knows?

Hate to tell folks this but EVs will probably account for 80% of the vehicles sold in 10-20 years. Not because of government subsidies, but because they make sense for the vast majority of people who drive 10-20K miles a year as a commuter.

The price of gas is only going up over the long haul, and anyone who remembers that a piss poor IBM PC used to cost $5,000 knows that when it comes to reducing costs, electronic/electrical will always win over mechanical.

Once enough car companies scale up key components like battery packs and motors, the only thing you will be able to buy for under $40K in 10 years will be a plug-in EV. And people will be perfectly fine with that.

You'll see a consolidation on the EV side, just like we saw on the gas side when Buick, Oldsmobile, Chevrolet, Cadillac, Pontiac... all individual companies... ended up under the GM roof.

Right now EVs are expensive luxuries or cheap toys, but they will end up as the mainstream within a decade. That writing is on the wall.

Hate to tell folks this but EVs will probably account for 80% of the vehicles sold in 10-20 years. Not because of government subsidies, but because they make sense for the vast majority of people who drive 10-20K miles a year as a commuter.

The price of gas is only going up over the long haul, and anyone who remembers that a piss poor IBM PC used to cost $5,000 knows that when it comes to reducing costs, electronic/electrical will always win over mechanical.

Once enough car companies scale up key components like battery packs and motors, the only thing you will be able to buy for under $40K in 10 years will be a plug-in EV. And people will be perfectly fine with that.

You'll see a consolidation on the EV side, just like we saw on the gas side when Buick, Oldsmobile, Chevrolet, Cadillac, Pontiac... all individual companies... ended up under the GM roof.

Right now EVs are expensive luxuries or cheap toys, but they will end up as the mainstream within a decade. That writing is on the wall.
GLWS

Whoops!!

I drove Toyota & Lexus hybrids for 15 years, up until 3 years ago.

Always amused me to see/hear some GON and ODT guys became unhinged seeing me pull up to a meet.

I should’ve been receiving kickback from their doctors and pharmacies all these years
You’re lucky you weren’t sued for causing wrongful death when someone died laughing.

The EV thing reminds me a lot of the Tech Boom... Everybody had to have an Internet focus on their products, and companies went from zero to billions on the hype.

After that party ended you couldn't give a tech company away, yet today companies like Google and Amazon are not just still around, they are giants.

The same thing happened with ICE cars in the early days. There were dozens of major brands of cars being made in the US alone. At the end of the day and after 30 years of booms, busts and consolidations, we ended up with Ford, GM, and Chrysler... with AMC an also-ran.

The first real Tesla's only came out 10 years ago, and they have radically shifted the market. So much that traditional auto companies like Ford and GM tried to jump on their bandwagon, with varying degrees of success.

The article in quotes is a good example. Why would anyone want a towing-limited pickup that cost $100,000? Same for a lot of these EVs from major companies, they totally misread the market for EVs and the folks who would want one.

EVs are a different kind of vehicle with different requirements, and stuffing an electric motor and a battery into an existing model is is just as stupid as all the ideas those imploded tech companies had back in the 2000s.

EVs that are built to fulfill specific needs will continue to do well. EVs that are pushed out as a publicity stunt will fail.

And when good EVs are price-competitive with good ICE vehicles in areas where they make sense, I think you'll see the ICE vehicles come up short for a bunch of reasons.

The EV thing reminds me a lot of the Tech Boom... Everybody had to have an Internet focus on their products, and companies went from zero to billions on the hype.

After that party ended you couldn't give a tech company away, yet today companies like Google and Amazon are not just still around, they are giants.

The same thing happened with ICE cars in the early days. There were dozens of major brands of cars being made in the US alone. At the end of the day and after 30 years of booms, busts and consolidations, we ended up with Ford, GM, and Chrysler... with AMC an also-ran.

The first real Tesla's only came out 10 years ago, and they have radically shifted the market. So much that traditional auto companies like Ford and GM tried to jump on their bandwagon, with varying degrees of success.

The article in quotes is a good example. Why would anyone want a towing-limited pickup that cost $100,000? Same for a lot of these EVs from major companies, they totally misread the market for EVs and the folks who would want one.

EVs are a different kind of vehicle with different requirements, and stuffing an electric motor and a battery into an existing model is is just as stupid as all the ideas those imploded tech companies had back in the 2000s.

EVs that are built to fulfill specific needs will continue to do well. EVs that are pushed out as a publicity stunt will fail.

And when good EVs are price-competitive with good ICE vehicles in areas where they make sense, I think you'll see the ICE vehicles come up short for a bunch of reasons.
When you can store a few 5 gallon cans of electricity for emergency trips, then they’ll be practical.
I’m a worst case scenario kind of guy, and EVs fail on soooo many levels.

Back
Top Bottom