• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Dune

People were disappointed with the original movie because they left out critical storyline content. This one seems to leave out even more content and focus on unimportant aspects of the story. It has been a long time since I read the book, but IIRC there is extensive content missing regarding the Mentat, Emperor Shaddam, Guild Navigators, etc...

People were disappointed with the original movie because they left out critical storyline content. This one seems to leave out even more content and focus on unimportant aspects of the story. It has been a long time since I read the book, but IIRC there is extensive content missing regarding the Mentat, Emperor Shaddam, Guild Navigators, etc...
all that is super important. I may watch it tonight. Duncan Idaho is integral to Dune as a whole.

There's "wokeness" in the new movie? Hard pass from me then.

One could argue that Frank Herbert was pushing an "environmentalist warning" in his books, but I didn't read them that way.
I'm about half way through. Not sure about the "wokeness", unless it means black people. In which case, yes there are black people. Lol
Edit to add: yes there are parts about the sand people being taken advantage of and used by "the empire"....

Books are good, but a hard read. At least imo.
Audio book. I managed to ingest Moby Dick that way. If it weren't for audio books while I work i wouldn't get any fiction at all.
I can't read fiction. I'll start reading, be four or five pages in, realize I been thinking about something else and haven't absorbed any of what I read. Some reason I can get focused like a laser beam on the MSC catalog though.

Audio book. I managed to ingest Moby Dick that way. If it weren't for audio books while I work i wouldn't get any fiction at all.
I can't read fiction. I'll start reading, be four or five pages in, realize I been thinking about something else and haven't absorbed any of what I read. Some reason I can get focused like a laser beam on the MSC catalog though.
It is mesmerizing isn't it?

Yeh for sure, especially long reads. I had to do some of The Foundation series that way when I was driving.

It's probably much better to do audio, and it was long ago that I read Dune, but the wording of it was just so difficult for me, it didn't flow. Kind of like The Sprawl trilogy by Gibson. Fantastic stories but hard to get through and retain what was happening.

Back
Top Bottom