• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Dune

It appears that HBO has sole rights for streaming at present and it's only showing on HBO Max. To make matters worse, HBO (and HBO Max) is no longer even available as a video channel on Amazon Prime, Roku, or Google Streaming (as I understand). Even the HBO supplement available on Hulu will NOT offer "Dune." Great thinking from HBO, if you ask me. :0(
Thanks for the info. I've read all the available books, prequels too (authored by his son and Anderson). Seen every movie/series available. Just wanted to see the latest. I'll wait.

Thanks for the info. I've read all the available books, prequels too (authored by his son and Anderson). Seen every movie/series available. Just wanted to see the latest. I'll wait.
Looks like we'll both have to wait until HBO's lockout has run its course. One source I read about HBO and Amazon breakup is that it would lose about 5M subscribers, so they're gonna milk this Dune thing for all it's worth, I'm afraid...

Personally, right now I'm guessing that I'll end up buying the DVD before I see anything streamable (at least in what I have), and that won't be until a couple three months after the movie has finished its theater runs..

Watched it last night...hbomax on Roku. Very well done. Read the books 40 years ago, barely remembered the story.

It appears that HBO has sole rights for streaming at present and it's only showing on HBO Max. To make matters worse, HBO (and HBO Max) is no longer even available as a video channel on Amazon Prime, Roku, or Google Streaming (as I understand). Even the HBO supplement available on Hulu will NOT offer "Dune." Great thinking from HBO, if you ask me. :0(

That sucks. I really liked having the option to add and remove HBO as a 'channel' on Prime.

It made a ton of sense to seamlessly integrate it into the streaming services the same way it's integrated with cable TV... so of course they decided to go the stupid way with an 'app'.

We had HBO Max through Amazon Prime. When their relationship with Amazon was about to sever, HBO sent us a six months at half price offer. We enrolled, and downloaded the app to our Roku devices. Not sure if that was just an accommodation for the Amazon Prime subscribers who were losing HBO Max, but I can't see why you wouldn't be able to sign up for HBO Max and add it to your Roku.

That sucks. I really liked having the option to add and remove HBO as a 'channel' on Prime.

It made a ton of sense to seamlessly integrate it into the streaming services the same way it's integrated with cable TV... so of course they decided to go the stupid way with an 'app'.
I liked that option of adding/removing also. I think HBO really screwed the pooch on this one. I don't think they can replace all the Amazon subscribers they lose with just people who want to see Dune. Methinks HBO is just too damned greedy and they saw how they could lock out a market with this movie......other competitors are wise to it now - let's see how they fare with other blockbusters and their offerings (which to my mind had gotten really stale and dated).

I have my HBO Max subscription through my AT&T wireless plan. I had it for over a year and didn't know it...:doh:

Edit to add- Dune is available. I just checked and added it to my watchlist.

I have my HBO Max subscription through my AT&T wireless plan. I had it for over a year and didn't know it...:doh:

Edit to add- Dune is available. I just checked and added it to my watchlist.
yeah I figured there were still venues out there. My main consideration now is being able to add through Prime or Hulu......it appears you can't. I'm glad you got a plus-up surprise with your AT&T plan, though. :0)

Back
Top Bottom