• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ecoboost timing chain issues...

Yeah first gen Eco's were pretty bad, especially cam phaser issues. But I'd still get a second opinion and quotes. Most I've heard from other users on F150 forums is about $3k to replace timing chain from the dealer.

I was curious so I google timing chain and ecoboost. While this may not be your problem but early models suffered from timing chain stretch ( hard to believe with a chain) and some had it as soon as 40k miles. The TSB calls for changing a bunch of parts that "might" be causing the issue or might be affected by the issue. Since it is an interference engine damage could get worse.

Probably 50000 miles
Ok that’s high. My 2011 ecoboost f150 ate spark plugs fast. Every time I would start having any issues with my truck running rough or losing power I would change the spark plugs and fixed. I got about 275,000 and out of mine but changed the spark plugs a lot. Only changed the transmission and transmission filter once, and had to change the water pump once. Other than change oil that’s all I ever did to mine. Trade it in and it was still running strong. It got my son through 4 years of college. I miss that old truck!

I’d definitely would get a couple of estimates. If they’re replacing the chains, guides, tensioners and the phasers, it’s gonna be expensive. Not sure about 5K expensive, but get prices from credible resources who have experience with these.

My 2019 with 51k is getting phasers in a couple of weeks. I am hoping if I prime the engine oil, it will not need it again in another 50k. This one is under warranty.

Also on these ecoboost trucks only use 5w20 oil. I can’t tell you how many times the oil change shop would recommend a high mileage oil heavier weight. This causes lots of problems

Back
Top Bottom