• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Economy o/u shotgun question

troutman

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
53   0
Reaction score
I'm looking at a couple of different shotguns for my son for Christmas. I'm looking at a CZ over/under and a Stoeger. They both are around the same price. We will probably shoot some skeet, trap ,doves, etc.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Don't know anything about the Stoegers, but the few people I know who own CZ over/unders, love them. I own a CZ semi-auto and I love that shotgun. I honestly would not trade my CZ 920 for any Benelli or Beretta, I would assume their over/unders to not be any worse than their semi-autos.

Find a good used browning Citori. More important then price is comfort in shooting. O/U are naturally point-able and easy to shoot, but there are some features that make them down right enjoyable. Lets look at the gun first. Must have choke tubes. I would not buy a gun a gun that does not have lengthened forcing cones or that is not back bored. These two features do a lot to improve patterning while reducing the the pressure curve, which in turn spreads out felt recoil to make the gun feel as if it shoots softer. After that I want porting. Porting does help reduce felt recoil. Finally. Avoid 3" or heavy 2-3/4" high dram loads. Too many people try to compensate for an inability to shoot accurately by using heavy shells. Your either on target with the correct lead or you're not.

One thing about a Browning. They are the most constantly made gun which shoots to point to aim. I would think you could find a good used browning for around 1200 or less.
Back in the day we used to play Trap games and most of us, myself included used to shoot some stout stuff. I was loading 1-1/8 ounce of 6's over 22 grains of Red Dot. Anyone who reloads will tell you that is way over published data. I never did wear out that browning trap gun and I still have it. but now days I shoot 7/8 of an ounce of 7.5 shot and break just as many birds as I ever did from the 27 yard line. The last Annie Tournament I shot in I cleaned house with that gun and light load winning 6 of 7 games.

Point being this, teach the young man to shoot a light load of medium velocity and depending on his technique he will learn muscle, hand, eye and target timing based on the velocity of load he is shooting. Not to mention you want the experience to be fun, enjoyable and pain free.

There are some deals to be had on older guns at Gun Broker, but these days the cost of converting them to soft shooting guns with choke tubes makes purchasing them unwise.
Please know I base these comments based on my practices of shooting 150 to 200 shells every time I go to the range. This makes fit and comfort paramount.

Good luck, and I know that no matter what you decide he is going to to love it. My first gun was a Savage model 24 22/20 gauge O/U. I have been a single shot and O/U fanatic ever since. These guns also tend to force a new shooter to become a better shot. Good luck and Merry Christmas to you both.

I don't normally mention gun shops here, but Franklin's in Athens actually has a fairly large selection of new and used over under's of various makes and gauges over a wide price range. If any thing it is a good place to get some ideas. Hopefully prices are negotiable.

Back
Top Bottom