• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Electrical problem with ‘04 GMC 2500hd

I have a mechanic buddy who said he is 99% sure its the TCM wiring harness. He worked on a few with the same issue. Just my luck they are pricey.
My thought was to make sure the PCM harness should be checked to see if it is tight. I have seen them loose and they cause all sorts of freaky stuff. Do a reman pcm where u mail yours in for a swap. It's more economical that route.

I had my radio and passenger window go out on two F-Body cars. There is a 3x3 box under the glove compartment you have to pull out and open. One of the connections on the circuit board has to be re-soldered. That little soldered connection had to be cleaned and redone. That little connection made the radio and passenger window not function. Go figure! Strike that I had to do it on my Trans Am and on two Camaro's. It is crazy what can go wrong with these new computer controlled vehicles. Gone are the days of easy diagnostics and repair. It literally could be one of 10,000 things. It's absolutely insane.

The truck is currently sitting at a mechanic shop waiting to have the problem diagnosed. I did everything that was in my power to do but in the end It already needs ball joints, window motors replaced, new steering gear box anyway. Figured I would fix all I could on the budget I have.

The truck is currently sitting at a mechanic shop waiting to have the problem diagnosed. I did everything that was in my power to do but in the end It already needs ball joints, window motors replaced, new steering gear box anyway. Figured I would fix all I could on the budget I have.
It will cheaper than buying a new one. I sold cars for years when I got bored being mechanic. I used to go back and forth to make real money but went back to mechanical work to take a break from the stress. If I had any advice to give from a sales aspect it would be this. Keep your vehicles clean and don't abuse them and they will give good service for long time. Drive it till the wheels fall off. When it's time to replace it buy a 2 or 3 year pre-owned, low mileage highly rated car and do the same with that one. Unless you are just filthy rich use them up but don't abuse them. I rarely ever use full throttle on mine. I go slow and easy over rough roads. Most importantly keep them clean and serviced correctly. When I appraised used vehicles I could tell you the type driver owned the car just by driving it around the block. Most importantly don't under and circumstances, unless a wreak totals the thing, buy a car in this market. Because eventually it will turn and that car you paid a fortune for will diminish in value over night and you will be stuck owning a car worth half of what you owe.

This might not pertain to your situation immediately but it is good advice from a person that should be telling the exact opposite. Since I no longer have to rely on selling cars for a living I like to share it whenever I can. THAT IS ALL!

My nephew car a 2004 Infinity was not heating when he came to a stop but would begin heating once the car started revving and moving. I am speaking of scams and overpriced fixes here. Their mechanic was charging over 100 dosllars to get the car heating even when stopped or in idle mode. There is a little quarter size port in the heater hose on the left ( if you are standing in front of the car and looking at the engine ) right up next to the firewall under the main engine wiring harness that is covered in accordion shaped covering. If you bend over thr passenger side fender and shine a light right under that main engine harness you see that quarter size circle port with a Philips head shape cross on top of it. All that has to be done is unscrew that little circular port open to allow the air pocket in the heater core to work its way out with the engine running warm not operation temp but warm. The air pocket will work itself out and takes five minutes. The moral of the story is do a internet search on your problem before you take it straight to the mechanic. Just because it is an Infinity you are expecting to pay more for a fix. In this case a easy and cheap fix. The cost of Phillips head screwdriver which most people have anyway. Every time he added antifreeze another 100 bucks. I helped my sister through the process. 100 dollars saved. Heater work as should. It's crazy what some people will do to relieve you of as much money as they can. Ridiculous I tell you!

This has been the issue for so many chevy trucks its unreal. Shops are scamming folks left and right..
I literally put a new ignition switch and NSBU switch to no avail. I wish I would have found a video about that plug I would have tried it. By the end of it the truck would not attempt to fire and it blew the ignition A fuse every time. I replaced the starter about 3 months prior so I pretty much ruled that out. The batteries still had plenty of juice. I checked wires and found no rubbed or burnt spots that I could see. Even pulled the TCM plugs from TCM and they seemed to be seated fine.

Back
Top Bottom