• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Energizer 50 Lumen 'Tactical' Flashlight

Wheeler

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
132   0
Reaction score
Being the cheap bast.. um fellow I am, I hate paying a lot of money for gear with a name attached to it. Flashlights most assuredly fall into this category. I don't mind paying money for good gear but I can't fathom dropping around $100 for a small flashlight. I have been looking looking for a small LED flashlight that was bright enough to use in a social situation but small enough to fit in a pocket without feeling like I was carrying a roll of quarters. Cost is of course a deciding factor as well.

I spent the better part of yesterday looking at a couple of local gun stores for a variety of items. The Surefire brand was well represented and carried quite a bit of emotional attachment on the pricetags as well. Later on the wife wanted to go to Target so I tagged along. I came across this little gem in their flashlight section for just under $16 and thought I would give it a try.

i600.photobucket.com_albums_tt86_Wheeler686_Projects_106_0208.jpg

The light is constructed of Aluminum with a knurled grip, a rather nice pocket clip, a lanyard (which I will remove), and has a push button switch with a momentary on/off or a maintained on/off. It is powered by a single AA battery, another plus in my book of cheap. It is marked on the body which direction to insert the battery. The measurements are 4" long and a diameter of 7/8".

Energizer claims 50 Lumens. As seen in this picture, it has a pretty good spot at 30'. They also claim a run time of two hours and thirty minutes.

i600.photobucket.com_albums_tt86_Wheeler686_Projects_106_0210.jpg

I tried to use my light meter to check the actual Lumen output at different distances but it won't pick it up past 15". If I get the opportunity to borrow one from work I'll revisit that. Suffice it to say at night with little ambient light I was able to readily identify items at around 50' and could identify shapes at 100'.

Good enough has long been the enemy of better. I will continue to field test this light for the next few weeks and see how it holds up. If it continues to function well I can see purchasing a few more for the go-bag and emergency kits.

I have this same light and I agree with the positive reviews. Its actually mounted on that Messanger bag I bought from you.

Thanks Wheeler

I am really glad you were able to get more use out of that bag than I did. :)

For a small, handy, inexpensive light I think this one might be hard to beat. What sort of use have you put yours through and how has it held up so far?

Before it was on this bag, I used it for inspection purposes at work. It was used almost daily, dropped a half dozen times (never more than 4').

It did love batteries (AAA), but I didn't mind.

It hasnt seen as much use this season, I've got a super bright Ryobi with a rechargeable battery that has proven very tough. Not sure if its "brighter" but it uses a wider optic footprint, and has proven to quite water resistant (rain).

I will post up the link and photos later. I've really gotten early use from it.

And the bag has been great for smaller trips when I don't need to take as much arsenal for work

Back
Top Bottom