• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Entry level competitive shooting

So if your mainly wanting to shoot competitions to get trigger time on your edc pistol I would 100% recommend finding a local USPSA match and just shoot whatever division they stick you in….. if your wanting to shoot competition as a hobby and for the sport of it (which in turn does make you a good shooter) then I would look into 3gun (my personal favorite) uspsa, steel challenge, idpa, run and gun, tactical games and the list goes on….. I suggest finding one that strikes your fancy and focus on it for a year then if you want to try something else then do so after a year…… some of the gear will transfer from sport to sport and most will let you borrow stuff if you don’t have it so don’t go balls deep on gear out the gate. If you have any questions about anything feel free to message me privately any time

Ben Stoeger's most recent book is built on taking someone from the very basics upward, and I highly recommend it.

Found out about it while taking stubb's (Andreas Yankopoulous) excellent Practical Pistol Skill Builder which is regularly announced on this forum.

for less Broadway dance routine choreography (step right, shoot, step back, shoot, three steps left, use only right side of cover, shoot...) you could do a bowling pin match if any local range has that. You just stand in one place and shoot all the bowling pins off a big plywood table from 25 feet, as fast as you can. They might have some runs with rules about whether you start with the right pin and go left, or start with the left pin and work your way to the right, but it's pretty basic. It teaches you to manage your trigger control, including reset for speed, and it teaches you to evaluate your targets to see if your shots had the desired effect (and to reacquire your sight picture fast if your pin doesn't go off the table.)

A good way to find matches is searching on PractiScore:

Steel Challenge is the most accessible place to start: you're drawing and shooting steel targets without moving.

USPSA and IDPA feature a lot more movement and you're reloading your pistol on the clock.

These are all international organizations that run matches around the world. You can look up these sports on YouTube and get a better idea what's happening in them.

Clubs will also have local outlaw matches with a home-grown ruleset. RBGC's Action Pistol matches come to mind.

Just picked up a g34 gen5 mos with voucher from adventure outdoors. Lots of good info in this thread, look forward to meeting y’all. Here’s the pricing list online.

Attachments

• 85C1F959-DBD1-4149-AEE4-6EFB086D2E53.png
    85C1F959-DBD1-4149-AEE4-6EFB086D2E53.png
    194.9 KB · Views: 16
Back
Top Bottom