• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Erratic Ejection Angle + Bolt Locked behind Live Round

A couple of additional thoughts. First, for an admitted "newb", you wear a **** ton of kit to the range.

Second, I can rule out any chamber tolerance issues for you if you would like for me to inspect the upper.

Third, this is the second issue I've seen reported this week that involved a Spikes NiB BCG. Second only to the unknown reman ammo you were using, the BCG would be the next most likely cause. Advice: don't waste your time with NiB.
I couldn't like this post twice so I quoted it so I could like my own quote.

Nibx bcg's are known to cause issues. The coating interferes with the tolerances.

Reman ammo is known to cause issues.

Nibx bcg's are known to cause issues. The coating interferes with the tolerances.

Yep. I saw it first hand last year. BCM upper, WMD BCG. The BCG would not lock into battery because the lugs were ever so slightly out of spec and larger than milspec bolts from BCM and DD (verified with calipers). The milspec bolts functioned 100%.

A couple of additional thoughts. First, for an admitted "newb", you wear a **** ton of kit to the range.

Second, I can rule out any chamber tolerance issues for you if you would like for me to inspect the upper.

Third, this is the second issue I've seen reported this week that involved a Spikes NiB BCG. Second only to the unknown reman ammo you were using, the BCG would be the next most likely cause. Advice: don't waste your time with NiB.

Ya well, I was at a friend's property, not a public range, and I was testing out the comfort on a patrol style vest. Newbs can have fun too :)

Your offer is appreciated. I'll send you a PM to inquire more.

Hmm I guess I didn't do enough research on NiB. I had mainly heard about how much easier it is to clean!

I'm going to go through a few brands of ammo and swap out the BCG for a Mil-Spec and see if I can see the issue follow ammo or BCG or rifle.

Pm replied.

As far as NiB goes, it has its pros and cons. In my opinion, there are better options for coatings & metal treatments. Namely, nitrocarburizing and NP3.

NiB took the market by storm a few years ago with claims of not requiring any additional lubrication due to the naturally lubrous nature of the coating. This was a complete fallacy. The marketing quickly adapted and it was then touted as easier to clean. In my experience, it's no easier or harder to clean than milspec parkerization, depending on what lubricant is used. It still collects carbon in the same places and it still requires scraping burnt carbon off of the bolt tail, etc.

The cons are lengthy and have been discovered as time has passed. It can and will flake off if not applied correctly. It does add dimensional thickness, which becomes an issue when parts are on the extreme ends of their tolerances, I. E. Tolerance stacking. And finally, it's been discovered that NiB actually ABSORBS carbon. Which is why NiB parts change color over time. With enough use, they will almost turn black.

With that being said, my opinion is that it doesn't really do anything better and in some cases, can cause problems. Plus, it's more expensive. Why pay more, if it doesn't offer a real, tangible improvement in performance?

I'm not saying that this is what's wrong in your case, because there are still too many variables in play. Go through the process of elimination, beginning with good, full pressure 5.56 NATO ammo. If that doesn't work, swap out the bolt & carrier one piece at a time until you isolate the problem. If you want, I can trouble shoot the upper for you and get it back to you in a couple of days. Your only cost would be the ammo.

Back
Top Bottom