• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Etching an ESEE

dial1911

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
99   0
Reaction score
So after some reading over on the ESEE forums, I decided to try to etch the laser engraving on my Izula II. So I'm either going to end up with deeper logos that I can cold blue, or I'm going to have ant bodies with no legs left.... So the mandatory pic:

I'm hoping for a deeper-than-laser-engraving marks and later a nice cold blue for rust protection. I got about 3 hours on one side done today and will probably give it another hour with the etching solution before doing the other side. For those wondering, the etch solution is PCB (printed circuit board) etching solution from Radio Shack. And I'm using a highly calibrated drinking straw to apply the solution because I don't have an eye dropper at the moment. The little flat blade is keeping the knife blade kind of flat so the solution doesn't run off one side. I decided to duct tape over the sharpened edge just in case some of the etching chemical ran that direction.

If this one turns out OK, I'm doing a laser strike and a CM6 next.... wish me luck.

Curious.........best of luck

Thanks- So far it's a wing and a prayer. And maybe a post that gets deleted!

Keep it clean dude. Colorfill your Glock instead.

Color fill done- but with Crayola. Maybe I'm afraid of commitment. Crayola later removed via toothpick. I hope this turns out to be a little below the knife surface so I can blue it at will and polish off the extra later. Or maybe after it's so worn that nobody else would buy it, it really doesn't matter..... Eh... tomorrow we continue etching metal.

Awesome!
LOL...I just bought a bottle of etching solution at Radio Shack today to etch my ESEEs too!

The laser engraving only burns through the paint, so when you wear the paint off, the logos are gone too.
The etching makes the logos permanent.

So after some reading over on the ESEE forums, I decided to try to etch the laser engraving on my Izula II. So I'm either going to end up with deeper logos that I can cold blue, or I'm going to have ant bodies with no legs left.... So the mandatory pic:

I'm hoping for a deeper-than-laser-engraving marks and later a nice cold blue for rust protection. I got about 3 hours on one side done today and will probably give it another hour with the etching solution before doing the other side. For those wondering, the etch solution is PCB (printed circuit board) etching solution from Radio Shack. And I'm using a highly calibrated drinking straw to apply the solution because I don't have an eye dropper at the moment. The little flat blade is keeping the knife blade kind of flat so the solution doesn't run off one side. I decided to duct tape over the sharpened edge just in case some of the etching chemical ran that direction.

If this one turns out OK, I'm doing a laser strike and a CM6 next.... wish me luck.

I know how you feel but after reading up on the same Forums i tackled it and went with the cold blued logos on my 3. I only did about 4-5 hrs each side, rinsing and reapply every hour but heres how mine turned out. Id say youre good to go, nothing to it!

img.tapatalk.com_d_14_04_07_vypama5u.jpg

img.tapatalk.com_d_14_04_08_u9ajuzas.jpg

Need. Moar. Pics.

Yeah- that was kind of a teaser from last night... I'll have some more this evening.

outdoorsman412- Thanks! I'm going for the exact same thing. Get the logos etched into the blade and then cold blue. I had a little rust show up on the Izzy I'm doing now- the bare metal definitely needs some sort of protective coating.

Back
Top Bottom