• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Etching an ESEE

Ok... one more hour wrapping up tonight after 9:00 and then I'm bluing the etched side regardless of how deep it is. I've lost count of hours now- glad I started this thread.

Oh yeah- Pro Tip: Remove the foil seal on the top of the etching solution after you open it. I just assumed the manufacturer wouldn't use a material that the etching solution would eat through. Bad assumption. Opened the bottle tonight and all the leftover foil was crusty and corroded.

Side one.... DONE! Just one coat of Birchwood Casey's Perma Blue (cold blue paste). Starting the soak on the other side now.

The side angle shows the color a little better:

Straight on, it just looks nice and black. Definitely flatter than the powder coat on the knife though.

Side one.... DONE! Just one coat of Birchwood Casey's Perma Blue (cold blue paste). Starting the soak on the other side now.

The side angle shows the color a little better:

Straight on, it just looks nice and black. Definitely flatter than the powder coat on the knife though.

I coat with gun blue and leave it 45 sec or so, rinse with cold water then wipe dry, 3 coats usually with me turns black. Once done i coat in vaseline overnight then wipe dry the next day. I just done my candiru and my 6 but again heres my 3, using the paste.

img.tapatalk.com_d_14_04_17_u5u9yged.jpg

I usually use several coats of the cold blue too on other things. I want to get this knife out in the sun tomorrow and be sure of what color I've got on it.

I'll probably give it a few more before it's all said and done.

Back
Top Bottom