• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Ever gotten the urge to sell em all and start over.

25 years ago milsurp stuff was so awesome. Especially for an 18 year old with very limited funds...Nowadays it costs as much as new stuff, and you nailed it. It has thinned out tremendously.
That's what makes it better! Trying to track down some elusive gun, or some oddball ammo that isn't readily available.

Here's my take - It's easy to spend entirely too much time either online reading about guns and prepping, or buying/selling/trading in a never-ending attempt to reach the perfect level of preparedness. It's easy for a hobby to become an obsession that takes you away from actually living an enjoyable, fruitful life.

Here's my take - It's easy to spend entirely too much time either online reading about guns and prepping, or buying/selling/trading in a never-ending attempt to reach the perfect level of preparedness. It's easy for a hobby to become an obsession that takes you away from actually living an enjoyable, fruitful life.

This pretty much explains it.

Try this. Take them out, one at a time. Wipe them down, hold them, remember the good times they have brought you. Set aside the ones you haven't even shot and make a plan to shoot them. Soon. You may find a few that you really want to purge. Put them up for sale/trade one at a time. I've done these things and it helps. Some times I feel the need to purge and start over in different directions but I either end up saying I'll never get close to what I paid or I really like shooting this one that I never shoot. I have been on a buying freeze for a few months and have the bug again. It comes in waves. Your urge to purge the whole lot will pass. I also keep a spreadsheet with costs vs. current values. It keeps things in perspective. There is no justification for this hobby other than want. I've been through the "need" based phase before as well as someone mentioned above. If I were only buying prepping guns it would not be fun and I would be done already. It is a hobby for me. I have plenty for self/family/friend protection and the rest are purely for enjoyment...I mean "were"...until that fateful boating accident...

For all the times I want to liquidate and blow everything up, I stop to think about how much it would cost to replace, especially the C&R stuff.
I think about starting over pretty frequently though, but always decide to maintain the status quo in the end.

Attachments

• 20161028_134518.jpg
    20161028_134518.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 20161028_134431.jpg
    20161028_134431.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 10
I've hit a wall. I've lost the enjoyment of carrying and my range time has been reduced to scattered shooting. I think beginning to reload has allowed me to lose sight. I've contemplated selling everything and starting fresh. I know I will take a loss. I can justify each one. Then again as much time as I spend on forums I could justify anything. I've complicated it too much.

Years ago I sold off all of my AR15s when I switched to the M14, no regrets.
Do what makes you happy, and makes the most sense to you.

Very interesting that you post this now. Just yesterday, I emailed my nephew and told him I was thinking of selling at least half of my guns. I have bought/collected guns for over 40 years now - sold very few - most of those, I wished I had never parted with (Navy Seal 10mm #65 among the list). While I have "good" hardware, there are many innovative/precision guns out there today that weren't available 10 years ago. The trade up from everyday, mass produced, run of the mill, "good" guns to Les Baur, Dan Wesson, Wilson (have 2) has an excitement to me - even if it is 2 or 3 for 1. In the long run for us "more mature" folks, it seems like a worthy project. To have 15 "good" guns or 5-7 outstanding ones seems like a no-brainer for me - at least at this stage in my life.

So will I sell them all? No, but I am like others here, while it may not be the best time to sell, it may be the best time to trade up to a higher level - less space in the safe - more fun/accuracy shooting - and more pride in the quality! Thanks for the confirmation, ya'll!!!

Back
Top Bottom