• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ever wonder what it took to fire up a steam locomotive?

Me too, my dad was born in 1892, he was not a railroad man, but said nothing was "prettier" than a steam locomotive. He lived at just the right time for the golden age of steam, end of career when diesel electrics came into prominence.

Rockdawg…..The Durango and Silverton uphill run the fireman shovels 3 tons of coal....be careful of what you wish for!!!! Have ridden this train 3 times, open car, hair and face full of soot and fly ash and loved every minute. I LOVE steam trains.

Rockdawg…..The Durango and Silverton uphill run the fireman shovels 3 tons of coal....be careful of what you wish for!!!! Have ridden this train 3 times, open car, hair and face full of soot and fly ash and loved every minute. I LOVE steam trains.

HAHA. I didn't promise how fast or far we'd go if I was shoveling!! Riding the D&S is on my list of things to do. Hopefully next year. That's my favorite part of going to Dollywood is to ride the train and smell that coal a burning up front.

e6f5ff337bb4b064309f9e041bcf0a43.jpg
792d03840e5f4c784829837245e18efd.jpg
147970c51fc9c80c95341cadb8063ef7.jpg

Absolutely beautiful engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rockdawg….if you are going to Durango, don't miss riding the Cumbres and Toltec too, I actually like it better, especially if you ride it all the way...not half way and return. From Chama, NM to Antonito, CO, or vice versa, then you ride a small bus back to your starting point. I have done it a couple times. It is also old DRGW narrow gauge roadway.

Back
Top Bottom