• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Excellent prepper/survival radio

Just picked up a few baofeng uv5r radios and a Magnum s9 10/11 meter cb that has been modded a bit. Cant wait to play with it some. Thinkin about making the s9 my base station and pick up a s45 to go mobile with. The baofeng got about 3/4 mile with factory antenna on frs channel 3. Through houses, trees and a little over a hill. Lost signal drastically after the hill. And that was with 4 watt power

Could you translate this for us that are ignorant?
The OCF Carolina Windom is a wire antenna devided into 2 unequal lengths. It is a wide band antenna that is usable at a number of HF frequencies. The 40 meter dipole is a wire antenna that is divided in half in the middle and is and one side is fed with the transmitter output and rthe other wire is grounded to the chassis of the radio. The dipole is only usable on a small range of frequencies. Both antennas are simple, easy to construct and set up, and inexpensive. A NVIS antenna is just a dipole mounted close to the ground. It sends all of it's energy almost straight up and it comes down usually within 400-600 miles rather than thousands of miles away. NVIS is used for reliable close range communication.

Just picked up a few baofeng uv5r radios and a Magnum s9 10/11 meter cb that has been modded a bit. Cant wait to play with it some. Thinkin about making the s9 my base station and pick up a s45 to go mobile with. The baofeng got about 3/4 mile with factory antenna on frs channel 3. Through houses, trees and a little over a hill. Lost signal drastically after the hill. And that was with 4 watt power
Amazon has banned the sale of those Baofeng's. Big Brother is everywhere.

I recently got into Radio myself and I was able to get issued a GMRS license from the FCC in a day and half just this tuesday. I do have a uv-5r but I'm looking to get a couple different Radios one specifically for MURS and a dumbed down GMRS radio. The baofeng is nice but...you know I dont want to step on any toes(transmissions)

Back
Top Bottom