• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Fall gardening

the_great_white

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
122   0
Reaction score
Ordered one of those tillers on a deal that hikingthehills hikingthehills posted HERE and now find myself planning what to get in the ground real quick for fall.

Thinking of throwing some squash in the ground, broccoli, radishes, and maybe a few other things for a quick fall harvest, not sure what though, but i gotta order up some seed quick.

Anyone else growing a fall garden? what will you be planting?

August and September are brutal for bugs and drought. It's about time to get some tomatoes started. They'll come back and produce when it cools off. Heat and humidity affect pollination.

Okra loves heat and humidity if you can keep the bugs off it. You can get some watermelons to make. Be sure to keep the cucumber beetles off them. Lima beans will produce until it gets too cold. Look at Dixie Speckled butter beans and Cangreen limas to see if they'll have time to make. Purple hull peas would be a good bet, but bugs hammer them. Basically anything that originated in Africa or South America.

I'm growing cabbage, brussels sprouts, and maybe some cauliflower. Down here on the coast I have a long season and depending on weather can keep things growing the entire winter. This spring and summer the deer have been raping me. They ate all of my peppers, knocked all of the tomatoes off the vines, and have been eating all of the new growth on the melon vines. I've already taken everything out of the garden except for 1 watermelon vine. I'm going to get some motion activated sprinklers and try that before I invest in an electric fence. I'm going to spray roundup to kill everything off pretty soon and get ready for a late August/early September planting. I'm getting my new tiller today and plan on using it to do my rows. I have a 4' tiller on my tractor to do the initial turnover but the new tiller should keep me from having to do all of the raking to create rows.

Back
Top Bottom