• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Fate - unicorn! (especially for Smith fans)

GeauxLSU

Default rank 5000+ posts
Corn Pop
Staff member
Super Moderator
63   0
Reaction score
Where the stars at night are big and bright.
I'm not going to be able to adequately explain my schoolgirl giddiness about this but,.... some of you may be able to appreciate it. I'm a blue box S&W fan. Many a Christmas morning from the late 70s to the late 80s there was that conspicuous heavy rectangular shaped present under the tree. My dad was simply awesome! Being the youngest (by a LONG shot), I didn't have near as many years with him as I would have wished, but considering the quality of the ones I had, I guess I just can't complain. Most of my guns are from him and regardless of what they are, they are absolutely priceless to me, literally.

For a long while I've desperately wanted a model 57. Being in a particularly tough spot the last year, it just wasn't in the cards and likely wouldn't be for a very long time. I also decided if I ever got one, I'd like one to SHOOT, a LOT, and... I wanted a nickel one (only have one nickel revolver). I have two brothers that are into guns (and one black sheep). My oldest brother is way more into them than me, has his FFL and buys and sells all the time. He took pity on me and gave me a blackhawk in .41 mag I guess a little over a year ago. I shot it more accurately than most any other handgun I own but for some strange reason, had the hardest time holding onto it. That thing snapped! .44mag never bother be but that particular .41 was a handful. Still liked it and looked forward to hitting the deer woods with it. In any case, my next oldest brother is retired military and while he enjoys shooting every now again, isn't "into" guns as much as I and is somewhat dispassionate about them. Between the three of us, we've managed to hold onto all of my father's guns. When speaking with my oldest brother recently, he mentioned my father had a 57. What?!?!?! Says I. A 57?!?!? "Yes, the nickel one he kept loaded in the closet." Now I remember that gun but I was so young, I didn't know a .41 from a grilled cheese sandwich so had no idea what it was at the time and never thought about it as an adult. He then suggested perhaps our other brother had it. I immediately got in touch with him and he had no clue but said "Maybe, not sure, I'll have to look around." Yep, he's one of the 'those guys'... and in his defense, if you've never been there, you need more guns. ;) Anyway I went to see him a couple weeks ago and he said "Let's go see if we can find that gun." Couldn't find it.... and then...... those famous words..... "Wait a second... what's that?....." Yep. :becky: The smile on my face was so wide he was more than happy to GIVE it to me (I'll make sure it gets back to his family one day). Yes my brothers are amazing (and yes I'll be returning the Blackhawk).

If you could measure happiness about a chunk of metal on a scale from 1 to 10, obtaining a nice 57 would rate up there right at a 10 for me. Obtaining MY FATHER's, puts it somewhere slightly above infinity!

For those of you that don't believe there's a gun loving God up there... pfffft! ;)

Yeah, I know the rules... it's "almost" too pretty to shoot, but it's going to get shot plenty. :nod: Not the greatest pic, but you get the idea. :rockon: (I'm still hopeful the original grips and box will show up.)

i138.photobucket.com_albums_q254_Dominionofstewards_phil_toys_IMG_13791_zpsgazhfgkw.jpg

:thumb:
That's Awesome

I hate to say, but I had ( yeah HAD ) the 657 - Stainless Steel model, .41 mag.
Bought it back in Mid 80's for like $350. for deer hunting, everyone in the club had .44 mags, I just had to be different. Even got a Marlin lever rifle in .41 just to go with it.
But like I said, sold it a couple of years ago. And I regret it every time I think about it, like when someone brings up something about a .41:dispirited:

Back
Top Bottom