• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Favorite low/no cholesterol dish?

Yep, I have to start back on this type of diet/way of life. Went for blood work on Wednesday and got my numbers back. Off the charts. I thought I had been eating fairly healthy for a while. I stopped taking my Statin meds for about a month before. I felt they were interfering with my sleep. Waiting on the phone conference call with the Dr next week. That should be a fun call.

I mentioned this to Geaux via PM, but you guys should really look into limiting or cutting gluten out of your diet if cholesterol is an issue. Wheat Belly is a great read that explains the science behind it. There are many cases of diabetes being reversed, cholesterol being drastically reduced, etc. by limiting gluten. Sorry for the thread hijack GeauxLSU GeauxLSU

Yep, I have to start back on this type of diet/way of life. Went for blood work on Wednesday and got my numbers back. Off the charts. I thought I had been eating fairly healthy for a while. I stopped taking my Statin meds for about a month before. I felt they were interfering with my sleep. Waiting on the phone conference call with the Dr next week. That should be a fun call.

Same boat, after 18 months the number still come back of the scale.

I mentioned this to Geaux via PM, but you guys should really look into limiting or cutting gluten out of your diet if cholesterol is an issue. Wheat Belly is a great read that explains the science behind it. There are many cases of diabetes being reversed, cholesterol being drastically reduced, etc. by limiting gluten. Sorry for the thread hijack GeauxLSU GeauxLSU

upload_2016-7-29_14-18-26.jpeg

Maybe try a krill oil if her numbers are still up? Statins aren't the best chemicals and can cause things like rhabdomyolysis and other pretty bad things. Tons of people are on them and some people they still don't help. If the MD recommends that I would ask if she could try a krill oil first. Heathier and natural. And even though serious side effects are rare for statins they still are possible.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Maybe try a krill oil if her numbers are still up? Statins aren't the best chemicals and can cause things like rhabdomyolysis and other pretty bad things. Tons of people are on them and some people they still don't help. If the MD recommends that I would ask if she could try a krill oil first. Heathier and natural. And even though serious side effects are rare for statins they still are possible.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
For the last couple of months or so (since her last test) she's been taking fish oil, CoQ10, and garlic. Test results due to today. :pray2:

Ooooh, here's a fun one (if she can eat beans). It takes some time to prepare, but man, is it worth it. I call it "mystery meat chili". I had won the chili cook off 2 years in a row at church, and they made me continue to participate even though I wanted to retire on top. So I tried to "throw it" to bow out gracefully, but this one ended up winning even though no one could tell what kind of meat was in it. It was so funny......folks were thinking it was tofu, or pork, or something else, but they still picked this one as the winner.

Smoke some chicken breasts on the grill. (I jus use my gas grill and a little Bobby Flay metal box with wood chips, just sitting on top of the flame tamers for smoke and cook the chicken rather slowly).

Once you have the chicken breasts smoked, chop the meat. I use about 2 pounds of chicken and 2 cans of beans, but you can just use what you have. (Word of warning......I never measure anything, unless I'm making biscuits or breads, so you're on your own with the measurements.)

Using a larger pot (my mom used to call them "dutch oven"), sautee a small or medium chopped onion and bell pepper or pablano pepper in pam or a small amount of olive oil. (I use both types of peppers.) Once the peppers and onions are sweated out (about 2-5 minutes depending on your pan and the heat), add chopped garlic to taste. (I just use the big jar of already minced garlic from the store.)

Throw the chopped chicken in the pot, and add 1 or 2 cans of beans. I like a can of black beans and a can of pink or white, like navy, or white kidney, etc. Even red are good; just 2 kinds of beans.

Add 1 large can, or 2 small cans of tomatoes. I like diced small, but whatever you like. Sometimes I use the large can of "crushed tomatoes and puree, but that is thick, so you have to add a little water or tomato juice to it.)

Spices are a couple tablespoons of Taco Seasoning (I like the McCormick's), and then some chili powder, paprika, black pepper, a dash of cayenne or other hot peppers, one or 2 bay leafs, and salt to taste. (Sorry....again, I don't measure, so just keep tasting until you like it.)

Simmer on the stove for 30 minutes or so, watching carefully so it doesn't burn on the bottom of the pan.

Top with a dollop of plain greek yogurt. I use greek yogurt exclusively to replace sour cream. It is fabulous! (But not for cooking in place of sour cream....)

Back
Top Bottom